460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the video of the twin-turbo, stock block/stock CJ head build that made over 1700 hp, I figured everyone would enjoy following the build of my turbo motor. I actually started this project about 18 months ago but got sidetracked and put a nitrous system together instead. Wish I hadn't done that! For what I spent on the system and the headaches associated with getting it right we could have been way ahead of the curve with a hairdryer combo.

This motor was actually a brand-spankin' new 460 crate motor when AER Manufacturing in Carrollton, TX provided it to me as sponsorship in August 1998. AER is the company that builds all of FRPP's crate engines. I ran it in my old dragster for over 5 seasons without ever pulling the heads. Put a nice alcohol carburetor on it and ran it like a daily driver. It would run 5.40's in the 1/8 mile all out and could run Super Comp (8.90) at 158 mph all day long.

After running a big 500" bastard-head motor until it died I decided to finally pull the crate engine apart and go through it the right way. We found lots of power by doing killer machine work, raising the compression from 10.5:1 to almost 14:1, head work, lighter internals, etc., etc. In a new car that weighed 120 pounds more than the old one it went 5.30's on motor and 4.70's on a 150 shot.

This engine was torn down after we discovered massive cylinder wall wear caused by a combination of two things. We washed the cylinder walls down when trying to get the nitrous system to work properly and had a cooling system that was way too good for running methanol. Cylinder walls ended up being .015-.020" out so the initial plan is to go .030" over. However, I may go .080" over...depends on a couple things that I'm working on right now.

Here are the details....

-A429 heads with a mild port clean-up and matching job. Off-the-shelf valve sizes. Machine work done by Wayne Calvert Precision Engines in Denton, TX. Receiver grooved, deck surfaced, ductile iron seats w/turbo-specific valve job, intake and exhaust surfaces flattened. K-Motion K-1000H valve springs set up at 2.050". Titanium retainers and locks. FRPP/Crane 1.73:1 rockers. FRPP guide plates.

-D9 block. Full array of machine work by Calvert's. Modified a set of Milodon splayed 4-bolt caps and installed. O-Ringed block. Machined out the oil slinger groove to accept early-model crank. Radiused every flange and clearanced block for early-model and stroker crank.

-Rotating assembly as of 06/27/2008: Stock stroke (3.850") 4340 crank with 2.200" rod journals, Howard's 6.600" aluminum rods (blown alky BBC rods), +.030 flat-top pistons (at this point they are a Probe custom build for a turbo application), Speed Pro Hell Fire rings. Crank and piston might change pending sale of existing crank and old rods/pistons from N/A combination. Would go to a 4.300" 4340 crank and either +.030" or +.080 over piston.

-Cam. Clay Smith custom turbo grind. Plenty of lift and duration. That's all I'll say.

-Oiling system. Peterson Wet-Vac and a modified Moroso pan. Added external sump pick-up and oil return fitting for turbo.

-Intake. Edlebrock Victor 460. Port matched, clean-up job, machined to accept 16 Enderle fuel nozzles.

-Fuel system. Hybrid mechanical fuel injection. Enderle 1100 methanol pump, Enderle block-style barrell valve, Hilborn boost regulator, Enderle primary and secondary nozzles, three high-speed bypasses, and a couple top secret tricks.

-Turbo. Garrett 114mm .96/1.50 A/R big mamma-jamma. Inconel turbine wheel with K-trim, titanium compressor wheel with X-trim. Capable of 46 psi. HKS 55mm wastegate with two-stage CO2 boost controller.

-Exhaust. Built by yours truly. 2" primary headers with 3.5" collectors. These are shorty units that can be mounted either pointing backwards or forwards depending on what style of car they are used with. For this dragster they will point rearward and hook up to a 3.5" Y-Pipe. Turbo will mount directly behind the engine, over the tranny. Turbo flange will have support struts connected to the upper fram rails to releive the punishment on the headers and Y-Pipe.

The engine will be used in our dragster that weighs 1950 lbs. The car has a BTE high horspower Powerglide with a 9" nitrous/blower/turbo convertor. I'm going to start with a 3.70 rear gear. Chassis has a 260" wheelbase, fully slip-jointed. The car has been 6.80's with the deceased bastard engine.

Compression ratio is very important on a methanol/turbo combination. All of my turbo, cam, and fuel system suppliers has pointed me in the 11:1 range. The static number is going to set up with an .032" copper gasket at 11.3:1. We can take it down as far as 10.7:1 with thicker gaskets available from SCE. Methanol LOVES compression (TAD, TAFC, and Pro Mod cars run 13.5:1 with BIG blowers) and we need a high ratio than on a gasoline engine because we aren't producing the exhaust temperature they are. So, we need exhaust velocity to get the turbine spinning...and to keep the turbine speed up.

Where I'm at today. I've begun building the primary headers, block is at Calvert's ready to be bored to fit the new slugs. I've got a bunch of bottom-end parts for sale so I can go with the stroker crank. Piston order is pending...waiting to see what bore and compression height I need. Fuel system is on the shelf waiting to be installed. Enderle 5" single blade throttle body is ordered. Meyer Enterprises is going to build a 90 degree elbow to mount the throttle body and assorted injection components. Rear gears are assembled and in the housing. Car is being reconfigured to manage the fuel system and POWER. Sold a bunch of nitrous-related parts (fuel system, nitrous system, iginition, etc) to buy the new stuff I need. Going to an MSD Digital 7 Programmable Plus ignition to better control the timing and rev-limiting. Mocked up the heads and oiling system on a spare block to build headers, mount fuel pump, modify oil pan, etc. etc. etc.

I expect to be completed in about 6-8 weeks. I really want to get back on track this season so I can get all the testing and bug killing out of the way. The car will run fast bracket classes (Quick 16, Top Dragster, even Super Pro) as long as I keep the dragster. Our goal is to be able to run 4.40's in the 1/8th mile and 6.70's in the 1/4. I don't want to use the turbo to its full potential because I simply don't need to. We're looking at 18 psi as our high end boost number to make enough power to run those numbers.

However...if I can sell the dragster or my Harley I'll be building a 125"-135" altered and, with their blessing, running the Outlaw Fuel Alltered Association series with 5%-40% nitro in the tank! I made sure I got enough nozzles and pills to richen the system up for the smell-good fuel.

I'll post photos and keep the thread updated as I make more progress.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Umm all I can think of is HOLY COW! That thing is going to fly. I wish I could get a door car that light. Good luck with the build. I cant wait to see it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Aww Wes, Just for grins and giggles! When you get all the bugs worked out ! Turn the wick up :twisted: just to see what the Hell she'll do....Sounds like a cool project !

Keep us posted !!

Russ :shock:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still plugging away at the motor and assorted components. Motor is going to end up being a 532" piece. Bought a much stronger crank so the boost numbers could go much higher than originally planned.

One header done...just started the second.

Working on a change of car, though. Looking at a very nice 23-T altered that will take power en-masse. That car would allow us to run some interesting events and series along with Top Dragster...stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Still plugging away at the motor and assorted components. Motor is going to end up being a 532" piece. Bought a much stronger crank so the boost numbers could go much higher than originally planned.

One header done...just started the second.

Working on a change of car, though. Looking at a very nice 23-T altered that will take power en-masse. That car would allow us to run some interesting events and series along with Top Dragster...stay tuned.
Wes,

How is this build coming along?

Have a good day!
Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts