460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL
I was looking into turbos for the 466 and the shop I went to just to get some figures.. Said he wouldn't recamend running turbos with a carb'ed motor?? and perfered FI instead.. Is there anything to what he was saying. about it being a pain to get the cylenders to run the same mix. some would be lean and some would be rich.. ?? out side of the box being a pain to use ...
So I was thinking of one of the superchargers instade. But I have heard that with the dizzy in the front it is a pain with the 460's and a supercharger??
Input???
tim

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You can run turbos with a carb...

Whether the forced induction comes from a supercharger or a turbocharger or a pair of turbochargers...it hardly matters.

Turbocharger compressors are smaller and spin faster, so the air is hotter. Intercoolers become more important but aren't necessarily required.

I would blow through the carb in either case.

You will need solid floats (brass floats will crush or fatigue due to positive pressure in the float bowls).

You'll need a BIG needle and seat to be able to keep the bowls filled.

You will need a large fuel system with a 1:1 boost referenced regulator intended for supercharger/turbocharger applications.

You will need the carb dyno tuned. You can buy one off the shelf from any company that sells dyno tuned carbs. I use http://www.customcarbs.com/

And lastly, you'll have to build and tune the engine right...lower compression, stronger components, reduced timing, richer mixtures, etc...or it will be fun for a far shorter time.

If he's afraid of blowing through a carb so wants to put an roots blower on it and draw-thru the carb, that's okay...but there are some big advantages to blow-thru. For one, you probably don't need an expensive dominator carb with blow-thru because you're flowing pressurized air. The orifice can be smaller.

And, don't forget there are a lot of GREAT centrifugal compressors on the market; you don't have to run a roots or screw top-mount unit. Look at my project at http://www.racesystems.com/cobra

Byron

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Don't let a mis-informed person scare you away from putting a turbo/supercharger on a bbf.

It is very doable. If it was so 'undoable', why have so many people successfully done it? Al beit, on a smaller scale normally.

The above given link is an absolutely wonderful library of information. You can spend lots and lots of time searching the archives and find just about any answer you need.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
39 Posts
carbs

QUICK FUEL has a whole list of blow throw carbs listed, i sure hope this works because thats what i'm doing for my wife, 96 cobra 526 w/76mm . if your thinking about a centrif. blower try thesuperchargerstore.com he makes a reverser for those blowers so they sit backward and mount down low. trent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: You can run turbos with a carb...

ByronRACE said:
Whether the forced induction comes from a supercharger or a turbocharger or a pair of turbochargers...it hardly matters.

Turbocharger compressors are smaller and spin faster, so the air is hotter. Intercoolers become more important but aren't necessarily required.

I would blow through the carb in either case.

You will need solid floats (brass floats will crush or fatigue due to positive pressure in the float bowls).

You'll need a BIG needle and seat to be able to keep the bowls filled.

You will need a large fuel system with a 1:1 boost referenced regulator intended for supercharger/turbocharger applications.

You will need the carb dyno tuned. You can buy one off the shelf from any company that sells dyno tuned carbs. I use http://www.customcarbs.com/

And lastly, you'll have to build and tune the engine right...lower compression, stronger components, reduced timing, richer mixtures, etc...or it will be fun for a far shorter time.

If he's afraid of blowing through a carb so wants to put an roots blower on it and draw-thru the carb, that's okay...but there are some big advantages to blow-thru. For one, you probably don't need an expensive dominator carb with blow-thru because you're flowing pressurized air. The orifice can be smaller.

And, don't forget there are a lot of GREAT centrifugal compressors on the market; you don't have to run a roots or screw top-mount unit. Look at my project at http://www.racesystems.com/cobra

Byron
Very informative.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Turbos

Hi Tim,first of all there is no problem running a blo thru carb set up on a turbo ,carbed turbo cars a running into the low eights or high sevens, i have had plenty of experience with turbo clevelands, so firstly what is your target horsepower you are aiming for? that will determine wich way you should go with engine.
Cheers Theo

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Turbos

the608 said:
had plenty of experience with turbo clevelands
Cheers Theo

I've come to be generally impressed with the ingenuity and creativity of the Aussies. Must be something about a general attitude of the country. Seems like I see the most unusual stuff come from there.

regards
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.