460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a mild 460 for my mach 1 just top end parts not looking to make a ton of power until I forge the bottom (planned for my spare motor) what kind of boost would I be making I'm only looking at making somewhere in the low 400 range at the crank with the top end setup I have. I've been told these lowers can handle 500-600 stock.

(I'm pretty new to building engines I'm using knowledgeable friends, forums, and YouTube for most of my info)

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really sure what your asking but I can tell you that these motors can make 400+ HP very easily and you don't need any boost to do it.
im really trying to see what kind of power increase i could get from a twin turbo setup using the cheap powerstroke diesel turbos as i'm not trying to overdo my lower. i already have parts for the top end heads cam etc and they should be putting me around the 400-450hp range
A bone-stock [email protected] (dog) version of the engine would make over 400hp on 7psig boost at 5000 rpm :sneaky:, flowing 45.6 lb/min through the turbos and 609 CFM through the carb or throttle body. That's assuming a lot, such as 0.55 BSFC (lb/HP/hr fuel flow), 75% compressor efficiency, and so on.

10 psig would net around 450, and 1 BAR (14.7 psi) would get you 520+ at 800 CFM. Adding 700cc/min (±20%) water injection would bring ±600hp, still at 5000 rpm. Any minor airflow and exhaust improvements would jump those numbers substantially. A stock block will easily take more than that on good fuel and a good tune as boost is lower stress than rpm. Don't get greedy or sloppy. Do have fun.
Gotcha so with the setup I have I need to forge the lower before I add any boost as I'd be well over what the stock lower could handle. Thank you for all the info provided (although I only really understood a bit of the application side of it seems it's time to research more).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts