460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ultra sonic thicknes testers , okay what does everyone use for checking cylinder wall thickness ? probe ?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
My sonic tester, (CB110 Sidewinder), is made by NDT SYSTEMS and comes with a convex, radius faced thickness transducer.
The transducer is sold seperatly but, I have no idea of whether it can be used with your system. The transducer part # is TG-505R
www.ndtsystems.com

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Wow Frank, I was just going to post a thread inquring about sonic checkers. I am currently looking at either the CB110 or the PR8. I like some of the neat features of the CB110, but didn't know anyone that had owned/used one and could provide first-hand feedback.

Randy, I suspect that since the PR8 seems to be more popular (perhaps only because it's been around longer?), and you own a CB110, then you must have used both over the years. Can you provide a rough idea of pro's & con's of each...compare & contrast? For example, the PR-8 looks to have a nice large LCD screen and big numbers, the CB110 not so big but provides a lot of data, scrolling scan, etc. I see the CB110 can store and then downoad data to a PC; can the PR-8 do this?

Currently, my perception is that the PR-8 seems to be a well respected, proven industry standard, and the CB110 seems to have a great deal of useful features.

Anyone that owns either or has worked with both: What are the pro's and cons of each? Price, customer service, warrranty, intuitive navigation through the unit's parameters, quality of construction, etc. Any info I can find on the net (even at the manufacturer's websites) seems a bit sparse.

Thanks very much in advance,

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Re: Guys; Check Into

c.evans said:
Guys; Check Into the Dakota Instruments and their sonic tester.

Hope this helps,
Yep, Dakota Instruments makes the PR-8 model I'm talking about...

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Dakota Instruments

I have a Dakota thickness tester and I think it's a very nice and easy to use piece of equipment. It's the tester I used at the block summit and we tested 32 blocks that day, 12 places per cylinder and 8 cylinders per block. It worked flawlessly that day, before and since too. I want to get a smaller probe that will fit inside of a cylinder head port to go along with the one I have for cylinder testing..

I bought mine direct from them but you can also get the same tester from Goodson and probably other shop equipment sources.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts