460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I got a Jaz fuel cell off ebay a while back from a guy in Canada. Instead of UPS he shipped it through the Canadian & US postal services. The cost wasn't as bad as what UPS would have been, but it took a lot longer to get from Canada to Texas through the post offices (got hung up at the border for some unknown reason).

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
That's something I've never understood about shipping to and from Canada, why the high price? What's the big deal anyway? Isn't Canada the US's number 1 trading partner and vice versa?

·
Registered
117 Posts
ups

I also live in Canada, I'm only 40 min away from the US border. On the other side of the border is store that is UPS depot so anything I purchase or sell I have sent their or I mail it from there. I have never had a problem with UPS.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When possible I use the postal service and have it sent express. Usually receive in 7-10 days and I'm 14 hour drive north from the border. UPS hoses you with the brokerage fee, and not only that, the parcels usually look like they took a baseball bat to them. I received a Holley 1000 hp that was hit so hard the primary float bowl was moved over 3/16, bending the bowl screws. Had a tunnel-ram show up with all the hardware missing because of the giant holes in the box. Was suprised the t-ram didn't fall out also! Postal service parcels always look good.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You have to watch shipping anything from Canada to the U.S. or vice versa. All the major couriers/carriers will charge brokerage fees on shipments over a certain value and the fees can be high. The best bet is USPS / Canada Post for most as they do not charge brokerage fees.

If you live in Canada and live close to a border crossing, have your stuff shipped (make sure the seller includes and invoice for customs) to the UPS store in the closest American town or city. Just go and pick it up and "broker" it yourself. (free) You can also bring goods to the U.S. to ship by UPS or USPS. U.S. customs will charge you a "user" fee of $10.75. for the goods you are "leaving" in the U.S. If you do this a lot you can elect to pay a $200. annual fee for unlimited shipments.

Hope this helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts