460 Ford Forum banner

Used motor worth the price?

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  rnelissafoster71 
#1 ·
There is a motor here in dallas thats looks like a stout combo. I cant go look at it because its in oklahoma, and its REAL history is unknown. I talked to the guy and we discussed a trade for my 302 (69 stock rebuilt 302, AFR headed, roller rockers, comcam etc...) and C4, plus about 3 grand for this 460.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/966409607.html

Im not being a tight wad, or cheap, but 3 grand is alot of money. Im building my 460 slowly with basically the same specs but planned on building it over a 3 year perior selling off 302 parts to help fund it. I figured this buy would save me alot of $$ in the long run.

Thoughts? BTW Merry Xmas eve everyone!

#2 ·
ford429cjlover

Nothing beats knowing exactly what you have. Putting that much into an unknown engine/seller doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Take your time and build exactly what you want, or deal with someone you know. I personally feel much more comfortable dealing with members of the forum or someone who receives a reference from a member. Your choice though.

#3 ·
More info on the components would be helpfull to decide the worth. No mention of crank or what cam and if the heads have been rubbed. That leaves a lot on the table to question the worth. Add up the parts list and you could be close to the price, and if he's giving you what you think is a fair deal for your end of the bargain, I'd say go for it.

#4 ·
I am a skeptic but isn't it going to need some pretty stout port work to make 900 hp with just a roller cam and some more compression. I would want to see detailed receipts for the parts and flow bench numbers on the heads. Any idea why he is selling it after only 500 miles? Is that 2,000 runs?

Good luck.

#5 ·
Skeptical here. Look at the photo's everything looks aged a little. It might be a 500 mile rebuild but not 500 miles new. That is no big deal with the external parts, but you don't know what the cam looks like, or the condition of the bottom end.

Save your money, and look on here some good short blocks floating around for really good prices from people you can trust. Check out thunderchicken's add.

#6 ·
are those the old style cj heads, or the new (kaase revised) style cj heads?

There are other ones that have a cobra jet script embossed on the face...much more fancy looking than these.

if they're the new style, and you can hear and see the engine run, your engine plus 3k doesn't seem out of line to me.

Just add up what it would cost in parts alone and you may be suprised.

#7 ·
are those the old style cj heads, or the new (kaase revised) style cj heads?
According to what I see in the pictures, they are the new style Kaase Cobra Jet heads...

#9 ·
used 532" motor

depending on the internals , as mentioned above i think you be very surprised on the replacement cost on this motor , i just built a clone of it except i used maxed A-429 heads and the cost was staggering , took 3 months to collect the goodies and if your used to a 466 or similar sized motor you'de be pleasantly surprised at the finished product , consider the true market value of your small block which is much more comon these days than a well built BBF you might be getting a steal if you do the trade,i thought of buying a motor and found the cost was about the same as building one , the upper end cost more than the short block !and at 7500.00 you wouldn't be out of line asking for a written warranty, if it's a good motor it shouldn't spook the guy, world products and marshal's engines (crate motors) give a 2 year warraty ! good luck

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. He said on the phone they we're Kaase revised heads. I think with my lil stock 302, If I we're to sell it I could get 3k / 4k for it, considering it has the afr heads. So basically the BB would be worth around 6k to me. If I we're to build this with new / used parts I would still spend upward of 10k.

Im a skeptic also because on the phone conversation he mentioned "they didnt spare any on this motor...A1 quality" but later said "WE spent...built etc.."

Why would you want to sell such a BA bog block??

Although a part of me does say even if I did have to say bore it out, replace the bearings and pistons, id still be coming out ahead...

OR maybe just spend the extra and do it my way, knowing what its been through.

#11 ·
Re: used 532" motor

merlinbob57 said:
depending on the internals , as mentioned above i think you be very surprised on the replacement cost on this motor , i just built a clone of it except i used maxed A-429 heads and the cost was staggering , took 3 months to collect the goodies and if your used to a 466 or similar sized motor you'de be pleasantly surprised at the finished product , consider the true market value of your small block which is much more comon these days than a well built BBF you might be getting a steal if you do the trade,i thought of buying a motor and found the cost was about the same as building one , the upper end cost more than the short block !and at 7500.00 you wouldn't be out of line asking for a written warranty, if it's a good motor it shouldn't spook the guy, world products and marshal's engines (crate motors) give a 2 year warraty ! good luck
Thats a good idea on asking for the warranty... 8)

#12 ·
that thing is stroked to within an inch of it's life. is that a stock block? the ford 514 crate engine is the same price and i bet it makes more power. hy. cam at that build level? is it flat tappet? i'd trade but with say like 1200 if any money. i would be suspicous, i wouldn't make any trade without removing the heads and oil pan.

#13 ·
RocketcarX said:
that thing is stroked to within an inch of it's life. is that a stock block? the ford 514 crate engine is the same price and i bet it makes more power. hy. cam at that build level? is it flat tappet? i'd trade but with say like 1200 if any money. i would be suspicous, i wouldn't make any trade without removing the heads and oil pan.
Really the 521 on fords website is just shy 10k. It is flat tappet hyd cam. I dont see an issue with flat hyd. cams, I like the reliability. My car would be a weekend warrior, and spend alot of street time. 1200 and my plain jane lil 302 for that beast would be a steal! I would defidently pull the heads and and pan before making a decision.

Im thinking about offering 2200 plus my motor and see what he says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.