460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a small block application. Heads were previously cut for lockwires and are now going to be surfaced, which will require the lock-wire grooves to be re-cut if we retain the lockwire gaskets.

Has anyone tried running a cometic gasket on a set of heads that were previously cut for lock-wires? In other words, no lockwire...but the groove remains, and now you're using a cometic gasket.

My gut feeling is it would work fine, but that groove is there...and I'm not certain what it might do, so please chime in.

Byron

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I don't know how it would work on the aluminum grooves because of expansion and all that, but it's worth a shot. I bought soft copper wire from McMaster-Carr and hammered it into the groove with a piece of aluminum as to keep from damaging the block. Then I used a rough file to smooth it down close. I switched to a mill-bastard file and got it real close. Then I built a thick aluminum block wider than the deck and put handles on it. I used double-sided tape to hold sandpaper sheets on and hand sanded the deck to a super-slick finish. It took 11 hours for the whole process, but I'm glad I done it. I think with the head gasket technology we have now, copper O-rings are a thing of the past. SCE just came out with a nice design that uses a steel ring in-between a metal sandwich. Combustion pressure actually pushes on the ring and makes it seal better. If I ever have a problem with the Cometics, I'm going to try those.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts