460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical build. Rules say single carb. Can be a dommy. Can use any heads a460 and down. No boost. No nitrous. Must pull 15” vacuum at 1000 rpms. No alcohol but can run any other fuel. Using a factory block what’s the most realistic hp possible?

·
Registered
47 Posts
So you could run a mixture of gasoline and nitromethane (yes, you really can do that for a significant power gain, though I gather it's somewhat risky). Might could also have a cam ground that lofts the lifters off the lobes in a controlled fashion above a certain rpm, thereby giving you more duration and lift than would be possible otherwise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're really wanting to get every last hp, you could still mix nitromethane in with racing gas. Not saying you SHOULD, just that you can.

EDIT I was wrong, I should have said nitroPROPANE.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Reactions: 87bbfox

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m new to race engines. I’m currently using Sunoco 114 and was using C12. I switched to Sunoco because it’s closer. Here in central WV there is absolutely no place to source race gas. Do I need to stay away from Sunoco???

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
stay with vp

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m new to race engines. I’m currently using Sunoco 114 and was using C12. I switched to Sunoco because it’s closer. Here in central WV there is absolutely no place to source race gas. Do I need to stay away from Sunoco???
You are better off to order drum of VP than to get some jugs of Sunoco

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
x2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts