460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to find my vacuum lk i have put 2 carb on this engine and its doing the same thing. I have disconnected everything from the carb and plugged it off and i still cant turn the idle down past 1200 rpms. Is it true that you can take a can of starting fluid spay it in places on the engine and if there is a vacuum lk the engine will idle up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
jbo92stang said:
Any suggestions on how to find my vacuum lk i have put 2 carb on this engine and its doing the same thing. I have disconnected everything from the carb and plugged it off and i still cant turn the idle down past 1200 rpms. Is it true that you can take a can of starting fluid spay it in places on the engine and if there is a vacuum lk the engine will idle up?
First, hook up a vacuum guage to a manifold port, and confirm that it is a vacuum leak. Check your brake vacuum booster if you have have one by plugging the line at the manifold. Check your PCV valve, it could be stuck...hold your finger over the hole. Be careful spraying starting fluid around in the engine compartment when the engine is running...you could lose your $20.00 haircut! Try something a little less explosive...maybe a Chemtool spray can. Most times, if you spray even oil on a vacuum leak, you can see it being sucked in, or hear it. If you have a vacuum leak at the intake gasket, most times, the engine will smoke.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.