460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. I've been thinking about putting a vacuum pump on my 521. I had planned on running an exhaust crankcase evacuation system but I found a small pile of money laying around so I thought I would burn it. My question is what vacuum pump do I need? While looking on Summit Racing I found Moroso vacuum pumps that range from $439 to $1100 bucks. There isn't much difference in the descriptions so I am not sure what I need. Also there doesn't appear to be any mounting brackets sold for these things for a 385 series application. I am running a front motor plate so how do you guys get these things hook up? Or do you just fabricate your own bracket?

Thanks in advance for the time & experience.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I went through this in the spring. What really screwed it up for me is I have limited room in front of my engine with my cel and fuel pump mounted behind the rad. And where my rack is mounted there is no way I can get a mandrel on my crankshaft. I went with an electric one, but a belt drive is much better! I see about 5" of vacuum max. Aeromotive also makes a nice kit. Otherwise I didn't find anything for a BBF application. It's fab all the way!

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw the electric ones but I assumed that they were just for brake booster vacuum. If you are pulling at least 5 inches of vacuum all the time that should be plenty shouldn't it? I mean at least you don't have any positive pressure within the motor.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It seemed to help over the evac kit in the headers, but they say 8-12" is optimal. Especially with alky. I noticed a big difference in oil cleanliness. If this pump was on a small block and not a 557 it would probably work great! It is from Kaye racing, and it is NOT for vacuum brakes. He sells a kit with the fittings, hose, and a separator tank that goes between the engine and pump to keep the crud from ruining it. I just bought the pump and tank and made my own hoses with extra aeroquip fittings I had left over from the fuel system. My buddy bought the Aeromotive belt drive kit for his 565 Chevy and he sees 10" at WOT at the finish line. I see 3-5".

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is good info. Thanks. I just picked up a set of Canton fabbed valve covers off the auction block. I'm planning on using those to hook a vacuum system up. Any idea what unit your buddy put on his Chevy? I'm still not sure what unit I need. They sell many with big price differences.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting that Rob..

That seems a little expensive though for a used piece. They retail at Summit for $615. I realize he has a pulley & 2 belts with it but the 4 inch pulley retails for only $44 bucks. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but if I were going to pay that price I'd just buy new and get the warranty that comes with it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Vacuum Pump

Hi,

I was getting ready to post my Moroso 22641 pump on the Acution Block when I saw this. I pulled 10" with no problems on my big block. I have the pump, mounting bracket to the head and both pullies for $350 plus shipping. Selling cause I stepped up to a Peterson's Wet/Vac combo. Let me know if you're interested.

Rob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I was getting ready to post my Moroso 22641 pump on the Acution Block when I saw this. I pulled 10" with no problems on my big block. I have the pump, mounting bracket to the head and both pullies for $350 plus shipping. Selling cause I stepped up to a Peterson's Wet/Vac combo. Let me know if you're interested.

Rob
Sounds like a decent deal. How old is it? How many runs on it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Vacuum Pump

I purchased it from a guy who ran it on his 514 (which i also bought). According to him, he purchased it new and ran it for 2 seasons. I only ran it for 1, (maybe 20 passes at most). I know it'll pull more vacuum, but i have a limiter on the valve cover set at 10". I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased it from a guy who ran it on his 514 (which i also bought). According to him, he purchased it new and ran it for 2 seasons. I only ran it for 1, (maybe 20 passes at most). I know it'll pull more vacuum, but i have a limiter on the valve cover set at 10". I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.
Was it run with a motor plate?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Might not want to sell the pump just yet, We were on the dyno this week testing with a wetvac peterson,which works great,but only pulled 4.0 ,I use to run one on my hemi before I went to a dry sump,and im going to use one( vac pump) on it also.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Chris Moroso makes a universal bracket for engine plate application for their pumps probably for use with a Mandrel. I will be installing one on mine over winter but due to the super tight clearance in my engine bay (yes even tighter than a Mustang) I am looking into buying a double groove 4 inch crank pulley and running a 6 inch pulley on the vacuum pump I will more than likely be trimming the motorplate and fabricating a bracket to bolt the pump to the front of the cylinder head unless I get crazy and decide to modify the firewall and cowl to move the engine back about 6 inchs. Which is not out the realm of possibilities. I will have to check into the rules but I believe the only thing I will need to do besides the obvious is to add a dash bar to the rollcage to stay legal to 8.50 with the modded firewall.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Chris Moroso makes a universal bracket for engine plate application for their pumps probably for use with a Mandrel. I will be installing one on mine over winter but due to the super tight clearance in my engine bay (yes even tighter than a Mustang) I am looking into buying a double groove 4 inch crank pulley and running a 6 inch pulley on the vacuum pump I will more than likely be trimming the motorplate and fabricating a bracket to bolt the pump to the front of the cylinder head unless I get crazy and decide to modify the firewall and cowl to move the engine back about 6 inchs. Which is not out the realm of possibilities. I will have to check into the rules but I believe the only thing I will need to do besides the obvious is to add a dash bar to the rollcage to stay legal to 8.50 with the modded firewall.
nope,peterson, and you cant bolt anything to the front of the heads

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
My mistake Rich I was almost positive I had accessory bolt holes in the front of my heads. That should save me some work then.

main prob is room , noway to do it on the heads on your deal

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like you have your hands full as well.

Any idea what the part number is on that bracket? I'm not sure how I missed this post before but I did. I just saw it 2 minutes ago. Thanks for the info! I was on SummitRacing.com earlier trying to figure this out and I gave up for now.

Do I need any kind of canister to catch oil that comes though the lines? Or do you just run some -12AN lines straight from the valve covers to the vacuum pump?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts