460 Ford Forum banner

Value of a new engine but dyno tuned

4K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  brad 
#1 ·
Do you think once a engine is dyno tuned it is worth any less?

#2 ·
Jones....how come you edited your post?? I'm Glad you did as I thought you were outa line posting the "worth $ .50 on the dollar crap". I have a motor thats very similiar to Seth's and know just how much money it takes to build something like that...I was offended by you questioning it's worth!! You self admittedly read every post....so you should know just what's in his motor, and how new it is.....Shame on you. :roll:

mike

#4 ·
dirt_worker said:
Jones....how come you edited your post?? I'm Glad you did as I thought you were outa line posting the "worth $ .50 on the dollar crap". I have a motor thats very similiar to Seth's and know just how much money it takes to build something like that...I was offended by you questioning it's worth!! You self admittedly read every post....so you should know just what's in his motor, and how new it is.....Shame on you. :roll:

mike
Ya, I went back and edited because it didn't sound right. I had my feathers ruffled at that moment.

Sorry,

%%&fox knew I didn't mean anything towards him.

G
#5 ·
people may not want to hear it but, typicaly you spend big $$$ building a motor and even if you never do anything with it people want to give you a whole lot less than you have in to it, even though the could never build it for their offer.

It pisses me off to but thats the way it is, supply and demand, if you want it gone, theirs always some a$$ clown willing to spend .25 on the dollar and "can always build it cheaper".

Can't tell how many times its happend to me........

#8 ·
brad said:
wheather you or anyone likes to hear it.... USED parts generally bring .50 cents on the dollar.. and thats all that they are worth... your motor is no exception.. sorry bud..
You my freind are WRONG in so many ways.

First of all, it's worth what someone is willing to give. No more, no less.

Personally, I bought & sold several thousands of dollars worth of "hot-rodding" parts in the last 7 years and your comment on "used" parts being only worth 50% is completely unfounded.

A lot of it has to do with the condition of the part and whether or not the item is a wear item.

EX: An intake manifold (without any wear parts, will typically bring more money percentage wise than say a set of complete cylinder heads [moving parts that need changed out over time]

#14 ·
"Let's see, I think I'll order an engine from Jon Kaase. I want an A-headed 572", and I want it complete from carb to pan, fan to flywheel. I'm going to have him dyno it for me, so that I know what I'm paying for. Then, because it's now used, I'm only going to pay him half of what it's worth."

Let us know how that works out for you!

#15 ·
jones said:
Good ole Timebomb Brad! Nice of you to join us.

Why don't you tell us then why you think this brand new 557 800hp engine should be sold cheaper than a Ford Racing Crate engine? Just because it was dyno tuned?
my opinion....

copperhead did bring a valid point.. some parts like intake manifolds retain a bigger precent of their original value..

if someone on here thinks it's such a "deal" i'm sure they'll be jumping on it and snatching this motor up in no time.. best of luck to seller and buyer..

#17 ·
Knowing the young man, Knowing who the parts came from, Knowing who did the dyno tuning and the big one KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT I'M GETTING...Priceless! I would buy that motor in a heart beat If I could.

Hold your ground on this one Seth!

#18 ·
The people here putting this down because its "used" need to go build a hyper pistoned procomp headed motor............

I know what I have in my build money wise, and if I were to sell with proven dyno numbers I cant see that it only put the icing on the cake. I dang sure wouldn't sell it half price because its now "used".

#19 ·
I have got to remember Brad's line of thinking the next time I buy shoes. If I try them on, then they are used and I only pay half price. SWEET. I wonder if that will work for tires also. Once they roll across the shop floor, they are half price.
I need to get a new vehicle soon. Maybe after they prep it and check it out, I can get a deal on it.
Dont tell the cutomers of the company I work for, that there 3.5 million dollar truck has had the engine and hydraulic system checked out before it made it to them.

3400 horse at 1900 rpm isnt bad either.

Dave

#20 ·
My house was built in 1973. I think I got ripped off because I didn't get the half off deal!!! What the hell was I thinking???? :evil: :evil:

If that was the case, everyone would own some kick *** houses!!

Im going to go knock on Alan Jacksons door and see if he is willing to part with his house for half because it is after all, USED!!!!!!

Keith

#23 ·
Out of respect for 557fox and the sale of his engine. I split the thread and edited my post. If you are new to this thread and it doesn't make since. Just view the current thread topic. That is what the discussion is about.

I felt like it was my fault for bringing this among him and do not want to hamper the sale of his engine.

#24 ·
1100 HP for 1/2 Price

Hey, look what I found in the Auction Block, a 1100 HP motor for $16000.00, if I use Brads theory, I should be able to buy Bryan's motor for $8000.00 since it has dyno time and it's used. I wonder if Bryon will even talk to me if I offer him $8000.00. Man, just think if Bryan would do that, he'd be getting most of his money back out of it, and I'd be getting a great deal on a 1100 HP motor for my Falcon. :D :D :D

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=19631

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.