460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...have a quick question about my 67 f100 it has a 385 series engine...dual quads (550cfm holleys??) SCJ Aluminum heads..built C6 reverse valve body 3800 stall 3.90 locker cal custom bars...custom drive shaft.. seems like this was someone's "track truck" no idea on CUI..
I am assuming it is a solid cam...valve trane is a bit noisy...not nocking..but definitely too noisy...I'm woundering...what the valve lash should be set at? Are all cams and manufacturers different? Is there a "base line" setting?
They all seem noisy maybe the left bank a little more so... 60lbs Oil pressure at idle...cold 35-40 warmed up..
So looking for baseline lash.. thank you.
Steve

· Registered
449 Posts
While there are people on these boards with far superior authority to speak on the subject, I think we'd all agree that your first step should be verifying the type of valve train in question. Solid rollers have different requirements than hydraulic rollers or any flat tappets for that matter. Start by answering that question and reporting back, at which time you'll get some great answers.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get it... if we assume for right now I have flat tappet cam and lifters...for now...(I hit max recall on tach 7250rpm he was stepping it up...lol) I can verify once valve covers are off... I can send my camera in to inspect...but if it is hydraulic than I have bigger problems with possibly ALL studs lifting?

· Registered
855 Posts
HI,
You need to send the camera.... guessing is just that guessing. we need to find out what you have to give you good information.. If the last recall on the tach is 7250 there might be damage.. bent push rods, collapsed lifters , But no one knows until you find out what you have.. for real.

good luck take care be safe
tim

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey...have a quick question about my 67 f100 it has a 385 series engine...dual quads (550cfm holleys??) SCJ Aluminum heads..built C6 reverse valve body 3800 stall 3.90 locker cal custom bars...custom drive shaft.. seems like this was someone's "track truck" no idea on CUI..
I am assuming it is a solid cam...valve trane is a bit noisy...not nocking..but definitely too noisy...I'm woundering...what the valve lash should be set at? Are all cams and manufacturers different? Is there a "base line" setting?
They all seem noisy maybe the left bank a little more so... 60lbs Oil pressure at idle...cold 35-40 warmed up..
So looking for baseline lash.. thank you.
Steve
ALL my solid flat tappet cams have been .022 and yes they can be noiesy...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts