460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I decided to do a desmog with straight up timing on my 1984. for better of worse chose a Edelbrock 650 AVS Carb. In the instructions it says ford trucks
with the above valve need to order a new .40 version to replace the stock .60 version. Well this part is on national back order . part # E3TZ-9N176-B Blue Dot on bottom. FYI My truck has the in tank low pressure pump Options If Holley does not require send back Brock for Holley ? fix my old 4180 motorcraft
Is this really necessary or is there a do around?
Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
8,726 Posts
I think you would be happier with a 600 holley with vac secondaries and ford kick down.

Don't forget to properly curve your distributor during the desmog.

Having said that you can, if needed for either set up, install a holley #40 jet in the vapor return line by cutting, installing a short piece of fuel line with the jet inside as the restriction.

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I kinda just flipped a coin between the two Carbs . Disappointing that a so called Edelbrock tech could not come up with anything other than it wont work. Any particular Holley 600? as far as the re curve I got the dizzy from you the "Mad Porter" other day. I am trying to get all my parts in order so I can get this thing back together and the kinks worked out over the Christmas holidays. So will the Holley work with the .60 orifice on my stock Vapor lock Valve or what ever it is called. This is a learning experience for me for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,726 Posts
Try the OEM seperator with this carb:

If you starve for fuel you can then reduce the return to .040"
We have had good results with the OEM .060" at up to 400 hp.

I don't always recognize screen names. Sorry

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Man. No worries on Name. Just ready to get her fired up . I hope I can work on it some this week after work bit we are short handed and I am working later the usual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts