460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a strut front end for my 66 fairlane.. I have to to get bigger headers in it, and that seems to be the bottle neck.. not to mention i want to go faster :D So i did some research and it looks like these are the two i have to choose from? Car weights 3300 with me in it.. so i better go with the heavy brakes.. What choice did you guys make? Anyone built there own front end before, or just bought a Chris Alsons? Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do the struts, you won't regret it. It's a lot easier than trying to fab up an a-arm front, plus you'll have more room. The strange struts come with the lower control arms and yes I believe I would get the heavy brakes @ 3300 lbs.

Is this a stock bodied car or do you already have a backhalf chassis?

·
Registered
584 Posts
struts for sure BUT you may need to look into how much stroke you can get in them. i put the 3"on my car but it's 2400#ladderbar deal.the short stroke may not be the best way to go for a car of that weight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!

I love this forum!! Yes, my car is 2x3 rails and tube chassis.. I stopped at the firewall and tied into the stock "frame rails", knowing that someday i would do the front half.. I have only had it at the track 5 weekends and know that i want to finish it before i put 6-8k in body and paint on it.. It is a ladder bar car, and i do want to pull big wheelies, otherwise i would of just built a rail.. so i think i should look into more stroke then 3"!!! maybe even the double adjustable... So should i go with the Strange then or the VariShocks? of coarse there are the Santhuf's too, but they look spendy with no brakes either..:confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know anything about the Varishocks, but it looks like the Strange struts are quite a bit cheaper. The varishock does come in a longer stroke though. There's a whole bunch of race cars using Strange struts out there. I've ran them for years with no issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts