460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I acquired a "kwik lift", which is essentially car-sized drive-up ramps.

After using it the first time, I had a thought...

What if someone made a drive-up ramp system that had the fulcrum near the center and allowed the lift to teeter-totter once the vehicle was far enough up the ramp. You could control the rate of motion with an unpowered hydraulic ram to act as a damper (like a shock absorber). You could also provide latch mechanisms that lock (or ratchet) in place as the transition from "ramped" to "horizontal" occurred, as well as automatic blocks to prevent roll-off. You could even make the pivot point selectable so you could accommodate vehicles with different weight distribution, but I don't think you'd need that feature.

I could picture something with about twice the angle as the picture above. You pull onto it slowly, and as you pull forward it begins to tilt to horizontal. As soon as the introduction ramps get off the ground, they become wheel chocks to prevent roll-off. When it reaches full horizontal, it locks in place, or perhaps something as simple as feet swing into position.

What's wrong with this idea? It seems a hell of a lot better than the way the kwik-lift works, and would fill the same need. You have to raise the qwik lift with a floor jack.

Comments?

Byron

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I would want the fulcrum point anchored to the ground somehow. Obviously not Solid to the ground as that would do away with the fulcrum idea. Also might think about building a longer Curved bottom fulcrum to ease the transition from ramp to lift, as the front of the lift goes down...I see it having quite a jarring effect when the legs on the front of the ramps hit the ground. I like the idea. Just a few ideas for some details.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed.

2 post is great, however if you don't have enough height to raise the vehicle more than 3ft...the utility is limited.

And...I wouldn't leave a vehicle on one in earthquake country; I've seen the effects first hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts