460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Some might say that it (white 'Stang) didn't pick the front end up enough. But it did seem to hook & move foward nicely, probably because it wasn't wasting energy/motion lifting the front end excessively.

Only real criticism is the video clip size needed to be edited down some (damn dial-up sucks).

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that it could leave harder. that was a 1.58 60ft time. I left at 4K off the brake w/ a 4200 stall converter. Anything more just blows the tires off. I think I need more frt end extension as it only has about 2-1/2" of travel from ride height to full extension of the strut. More rise should equal more traction/weight transfer to the rear tires, right???

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
From what I can see the front definately need more travel and the rear shock should be stiffened a little.

Then bump the launch RPM higher.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phantasea466 said:
What type of front suspension do you have?
tubular k-frame and arms, Bob's spacers, coilovers w/ 175lb springs, Lakewood 90/10's. Adjuster sleeve on the coilover is a little less than half way up the threaded collar.
How much travel should I shoot for?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
It should be getting a lot of travel then? Maybe try lowering the front however it Looks like your rear is pretty high. Is that to clear the slicks?

now I HAVEN'T tested my new coilovers yet so take this with a grain of salt. I have my adjusters all the way down and so does IDT-572 due to ride height adjustment.

Here's the thread I started today about coil over fronts..

http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5150&highlight=

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Right now I have Lakewood 90/10 struts as well with 14" 175 lbs. coilovers but no spacers. I have 4" from the bottom of the coil over/top of strut mount to the bottom of the coilover adjuster. I have at least 4-5" of front end travel before it lifts the wheels. You need to find the extra front end travel.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the rear ride height is using stock, uncut GT rear springs. As for the frt, it's set that way to give me 3" of clearance at the header collector(per the ihra/nhra rulebooks). The frt travel I believe is reduced by the subframe spacers. I can gain some back by putting a spacer between the top coilover cup and the bottom of the c/c plate, maybe 1/2-3/4".

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I think you'll find that NHRA (and others) list headers and oilpans as an exception to the 3" clearance rule. Read the book again, and go lower in front if you like. The 3" clearance is measured from the front of the car to a point 12" behind the front spindle centerline. It's an issue regarding the height of the timer beams.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you run C/C plates you can also flip the plates upside down to give you more front end travel.

As far as lowering the ride height be warned that the headers can cause troubles with consistent R/T's. If your just out for and ET that may not matter but on a bracket car this is a concern. I fought an irregular R/T for over a year with my car. It used to sit very low and I had 1 3/4 under the header. Trouble is if the track was junk the car wouldn't transfer weight quickly enough to lift the headers out of the beams. The R/T would go from a good one to .610-.620's and I was on my way home!

T

·
0 Posts
Rick, they are correct on the header to ground clearance rule. You have seen how low mine are so I don't think that will be an issue if you want to try lowing the front end. Now getting it on & off an open trailer may be a different story. Have you got some long ramps??? :D

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts