460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new laptop and was wondering how much difference there is between Vista Premium 32 bit vs 64 bit. The 64 bit requires 4 Gb of ram so it should be faster but you know how that goes. All I have ever used is XP Pro so I am in the dark with the new stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can't remember all the benefits. I do know the 64 bit can handle more memory(ram) if you ever upgrade. Vista is a memory whore regardless.

I heard a rumor that the new windows is due out fall/winter this year.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
I am looking at a new laptop and was wondering how much difference there is between Vista Premium 32 bit vs 64 bit. The 64 bit requires 4 Gb of ram so it should be faster but you know how that goes. All I have ever used is XP Pro so I am in the dark with the new stuff.

I'm on Vista right now. Can't stand it. I call it Windows Fista.

I could be mistaken, but I do believe XP will be supported through 2015, and if so then I'd say that at least for the immediate future that's the ticket over Fista.

Paul

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on Vista right now. Can't stand it. I call it Windows Fista.

I could be mistaken, but I do believe XP will be supported through 2015, and if so then I'd say that at least for the immediate future that's the ticket over Fista.

Paul
Well if I could get XP I would but I hate to pay for vista then have to buy XP on top of that. I have to watch the $$$$$. Is there still allot of driver issues with vista?

·
Registered
49 Posts
i got a new lap top and its got 64 bit vista and i love it. will not ever go back. BUT my new sct 3 will not work with the 64 bit! and my old lc-1 works great on it! go figure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well if I could get XP I would but I hate to pay for vista then have to buy XP on top of that. I have to watch the $$$$$. Is there still allot of driver issues with vista?
the drivers is what is holding me back from working on the 64 bit. the sct-3 software works fine but can not connect to the lap top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I couldn't stand all the driver issues with Vista 64, so I downgraded to 32. Now I have one hard drive with Vista 32 and another with XP. I boot with whichever one I need at the moment.

The newest Directx10 games? Boot with Vista.
Legacy games and my ancient ATI tv tuner? Boot with XP.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My computer crashed a few weeks ago, and I bought a new one. My kid has Vista on his laptop and he hates it and told me not to get it, but I did, and I love it. So far. The guy that sold it to me wanted me to leave it there for 3 hours and he said they would clean out all the unneeded stuff like touchscreen etc, and it would reduce the memory requirments from 1.3 down to .6. I was from out of town and didn't have time, but I might take it back in the future. I'm far from a computer guru, but I like Vista so far. I've had '95, '98, 2000, and XP and this one is my favorite.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I haven't had any problems with VISTA, I don't see any advantage to putting XP back on a computer. VISTA has some somewhat annoying quirks when you first start out with it, but after awhile you get used to it! Get a computer with VISTA, and go for it.
Gary

·
Registered
562 Posts
I ran everything from windows 95 all the way up to xp and vista even running windows 7 beta and it needs work still

like any new OS vista has a few quirks but I would still recommend it as it been very stable for me

if you been using XP it will have a bit of a learning curve to figure out where everything is

·
Registered
41 Posts
buy a Mac and be done with it. I am a convert...the worst kind I know. I will never spend my own money on PC again. I have to use one at work. I have 2 iMacs...one new...and a 2001 first edition iMac that still runs great. They are not perfect and it might take a little getting used to, but unless you use some really specialized software - you can get things done. Particularly if its just a web, email, photo, Word machine. The new ones can even run Windows if you have some old programs you don't want to part with. They are cheaper in the long run IMHO.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I like XP, but there is no point to buying it now. MS gave me a copy of Vista Ultimate 64 and 32 last year, and I am using the 64 bit on my gaming system. It is not nearly as bad as everybody says. Some older softwares are not stable. Go 64 bit because 64 bit systems a step towards the future. XP support ends this year. No driver issues with 64 bit on anything I have, but then again my system is a monster.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Beeb using Vista for 3 years, started when it was in Beta.

If you have an old or underpowered system - stick with XP until you can afford a better system, its just not worth the cost or hassle of upgrading, unless you are a geek with skills.

What is an underpowered system; In blunt terms, if its on sale for less than $500 - $600, its underpowered. You will find that a decent brand name Laptop start around $800 - $1000 minimum. If you are lucky and catch a blow-out, clearance sale - its possible to get something in the lower range, but you need to do your research.

What is an old system, if it was purchased more than 5 years ago or ran any operating system prior to XP-Pro originally, then its likely both too old as well as underpowered.

Vista 64/32 is great...yes, it is a memory hog, yes it requires up to date drivers and No, most of your previously installed games and program mostly will not run with out some adjustments. Fact is, even if you want to jump to Windows 7 (the newest version coming out next year - betas are out now) to get 'all' the bells and whistles to work, you pretty much will need the same specifications that are Required for Vista. The unvarnished truth is - its Vista, with a little looser security and looser requirements... too me, thats not a really good trade off.

Vista was a big gamble for Microsoft. What they have done is merge the basic abilities of their Server operating system - putting it in a consumer desktop package. Most consumers don't understand computer security, until their machine gets infected by a Virus or a worm takes it over - then its Microsofts fault. Microsoft removed most of the virus and worm issues, but the cost was to make the consumer work a little harder. People that only want to get to email, instant messages and browse the internet were not amused. The "new" Windows 7/Azure/Blue takes most of that messy stuff and hides it away. Its still there, you just don't run into it as often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts