460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas -

Looking for a set of 11" drum brakes for a small bearing 9" rear (Fairlane, Mustang, etc). Needed for '66 Fairlane GT. I have 10" brakes already but they need gone through and the backing plates are pitted anyway, so would like to upgrade. I'm in Woodbridge, VA.

Please PM if you have something.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not just up-grade to disc?
It's for a 66 Fairlane GT convt. Won't be 100% stock (stealthy 500 hp 428 CJ under the hood), but want it to look stock. Hard to do that with disk brake rotors peeking out on the rear end.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
11"

I checked my pile...all the 11" were big bearing. The 1/2" big bearing ones would need a very little notching to make the bolt pattern fit. After assembly, it would not show. Back in the day, I had a set on my '66 GT. It made quite a difference. I found them in a early '60s Galaxie station wagon. Probably not too many around any more.

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
11" small bearing brakes are pretty rare. I believe they were only availble on the 57 to 59 Ford & Edsel.

If you find some, watch out fo the axle offset to the backing plate (face of axle flange to backing plate) to make sure they will work with your axles. The setup I put on a 58 Ford 9" had an axle offset of 2-15/16".

The only place I could find new drums were at Macauto.com and they cost $120.00 each.

·
Registered
481 Posts
They also came on the '72 Lincoln Mark IV, I have the small bearing housing installed in my '79 Ranchero(exact fit) but it also came with a 9 3/8 ring gear and 31 spline axles. The drum brakes were 11" x 2 1/4". I have since removed them and installed disc brakes donated from an '02 Crown Vic( a basic bolt on). I have updated the axle assembly with 3.25 gears, a 4 pinion Trac-lok case from a '70-'71 F100, and new steels and clutches purchased from my local Ford dealer(a miracle in itself) for $20. I know these 9 3/8's are not popular but damn they are robust. I hope this helps, Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts