460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new timing chain cover with a provision for a dipstick. The cover came with a plug if you didn't need the dipstick in the timing cover. I have now lost that little plug and need to find one. If anybody has one they don't need please send a P.M. about it

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
measure the hole , go to the parts store and get one .

should be cheaper than a postal stamp.

high tech problem solved

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could you tap the hole just enough for a grub screw with some sealer on it?
It has to go through 2 holes and I don't want to run the risk of droping shavings down in the motor when I tap it. I already had the dang thing on when I discovered I had lost the plug. It wasn't the best order of operations I admit but it is what I'm stuck with right now.

I'm hoping that it turns up when I'm out in the barn this weekend. Time will tell...

measure the hole , go to the parts store and get one .

should be cheaper than a postal stamp.

high tech problem solved
That very well might happen if nothing else turns up. With all the money I have in this thing so far whats a $50 dollar stamp? Just a drop in a very large bucket.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It has to go through 2 holes and I don't want to run the risk of droping shavings down in the motor when I tap it. I already had the dang thing on when I discovered I had lost the plug. It wasn't the best order of operations I admit but it is what I'm stuck with right now.

I'm hoping that it turns up when I'm out in the barn this weekend. Time will tell...

That very well might happen if nothing else turns up. With all the money I have in this thing so far whats a $50 dollar stamp? Just a drop in a very large bucket.
$50 USPS stamp ! guess thats one way to get the postal system in the black

·
Registered
377 Posts
You're not alone Scharf. Lost my plug too. I simply cut off an old dipstick tube and put a vacuum cap on it. Next time I pull the cover i'll tap it for a plug.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're not alone Scharf. Lost my plug too. I simply cut off an old dipstick tube and put a vacuum cap on it. Next time I pull the cover i'll tap it for a plug.

Russ
Well I know it came with one. I got it out and looked at it when it arrived. OOPPSS!! First mistake. Never fondle your parts until you are ready to assemble.

Do you want me to send one to the address you pm'ed me?

I'm using the tube in my new timing cover.
That would be great! I sent you a P.M. about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts