460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some what seem to be procomp speedmaster heads for my 460 from an acquaintance of my mechanic/friend for a really good price. My friend convinced him to throw in a 427fe block that he is not using anymore. He said he had it in a plastic bag and it was wd40'd before he put it in the bag which is now sitting in his garage. He asked if we would shoot him $100 CAD or about $75 USD for it and I am seriously considering it so I can either keep it for a future build or sell it to help fund my 460 build. For some reason I remember him saying it was a high-riser but I'm not sure. I know that there are different 427's such as side or top oilers, and the dream SOHC engine. I'm not sure which one he has (most likely not a Cammer), but could anyone help me with what these blocks are worth?
Greatly appreciated...
Kent.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets see some pics
I don’t have any pics right now unfortunately. I have not seen the block, my mechanic/friend spoke to the guy when we bought the heads from him. I’ll post some pics as soon as I get them... I’ll probably own the block at that stage. I’m just hoping to get ballpark values on the fe 427 series of engines. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
526 Posts
Something is wrong here.Several things...it's junk,not a 427 or even a 390 block,the guy is bs-ing you.If he knows absolutely anything at all about Fords,he wouldn't sell a 427 block for $100

·
Registered
893 Posts
As far as value, it's worth much more than $75 IF it's a 427. Also, there's no easy way to discern a 427 over even a 360 unless you've got it in front of you and you know what to look for. If it is a 427, I'll let you quadruple your money from me if you end up with it. Here's a link to ways to tell the differences in the blocks, I'm betting your guy just saw a "427" cast into the block and figures it's a 427, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something is wrong here.Several things...it's junk,not a 427 or even a 390 block,the guy is bs-ing you.If he knows absolutely anything at all about Fords,he wouldn't sell a 427 block for $100
You're probably right thermod... but sometimes we get lucky with garage finds and stuff. I'll try and find out more information, and I'll let you know how things turn out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as value, it's worth much more than $75 IF it's a 427. Also, there's no easy way to discern a 427 over even a 360 unless you've got it in front of you and you know what to look for. If it is a 427, I'll let you quadruple your money from me if you end up with it. Here's a link to ways to tell the differences in the blocks, I'm betting your guy just saw a "427" cast into the block and figures it's a 427, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the link... I'm not counting my lucky stars that this is a 427 but we get lucky sometimes. My mechanic just asked if he would give it to us since he wasn't going to use it, he asked for $75 USD. I think my mechanic has done him many favours, but he may not know what he's got and the value... I'm just hoping to find out what it would be worth if it is actually one. Can't find any information online.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently saw a standard bore center oiler in need of a cleanup go for $2500
Wow... what a score that would be! Thanks for the information and the honesty... I’ll let you know if the Ford Gods are smiling down on me as I get more info on the block. Probably too good to be true but we’ll see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suspicion confirmed everyone. The block had the id tag on it... it’s a 429 385 series... oh well, it’s good to dream!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy said he sold the 427 for $200 a few weeks ago instead of his 429 accidentally... seems a bit shady. Oh well. I have a 429 block now that I can start fresh with. I'll put a 460 crank in it and get it cleaned and all machine work for about $260 USD Should be a fun build. 0.030 bore I'm guessing, and a 4.150 stroke is what I'm thinking. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 429 block is in getting machined... as previously mentioned, I'm going to bore .030 and use either a 4.150 or a 4.300 crank. Any suggestions as to which crank would be better? From the reading I've done a 4.300 crank 521ci seems to be a popular build. I'm leaning that way over the 4.150 crank 502ci build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts