460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my plans on using a factory block at 4.50 bore. Looking for used A460 block in good condition. I can buy new for $2,030 shipped. Bore size doesn't matter, but I'm not interested in paying new price for something close to maxed bore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to use that A460 block but that would be too easy and make too much sense. I can't since the 2 mud classes I run in are limited to OEM production iron heads and OEM production iron blocks. One class has a 15"vacuum @ 900RPM rule too which is a PITA and takes lots of $$$$. Tried with no success to get some of the rules changed to move us into the 21st century. This is a perfect example of what some of us BBF guys are up against in mud race and truck pull classes. I pretty much have to go back to block/head technology and bore combinations that were used 30 years ago when not much aftermarket stuff was available. And, I'm now doing it with 40 year old parts that in most instances cost more than aftermarket stuff does.

The Boss block mentioned above is better suited to someone with a budget for building a genuine Boss motor. .......... I'm not looking for a deal on a block, but I know there are DOVE-A and other blocks out there that will make .140 overbore. It's amazing how many are being sold on Ebay and everywhere else when they haven't bothered to have a sonic test done. It would certainly add value to what they are selling.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've never seen an A460 block in person, but do they look any different from the outside? I know the internals are alot better. I had a DOVE-A block that would handle the 4.50 bore, and sold it on here to a mud racer. Good luck with your search. I guess one expensive option would be to bore and sleeve a production block to that bore size. Chris

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
as long as you will pay for the test,and for the block i have a few we could test,no problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

I changed my plans and revised my wantad.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did e-mail Ron this week.........I need to talk with my builder on Monday to see if Ron's O ringed block will work with my application. I also recently talked to a shop in Nebraska that has one that Schmitty and Dennis Bloom had mentioned back this summer.

Just trying to see what else is available out there before I decide.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how the rules you are building for are stated, but down here in the bottom class that states OEM block, it also states no factory performance blocks. One thing about the block in Grand Island is that it is already machined and only needs to be finish bored and honed. That is a huge savings in that you don't have to do the line boring and decking. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got Ed in Grand Island NE to ship the block he had up to my neck of the woods on their truck. Thanks to Schmitty for the info about it!

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Glad it worked out for both of you. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts