460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I've recently come upon a screamin' deal on a crate 460 with casting numbers D9TE-AB, ive never seen these casting numbers before, due to me being newer at dealing with ford engines in general, this is my first truck build. When i'd bought my 77 it came with a blown 351m, however, with how clean the body is, ill drop some pictures below. Knowing that the engine im lookin into buying is a 79+ im not sure how well thats going to go with my c6 automatic trans. Again, im new at this, so if i sound like an idiot, its probably because i am one, however i learn quickly and appreciate any advice i can get! I can upload numbers and pictures of motor. If anyone wants more info on anything ill do my best to get it.

Thanks for the knowledge,

Casey

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Go over to FTE and check out the thread below. There are a couple of guys, including me, that are putting 460's in Dentside 4x4 trucks. Ford didn't put 460's in 4x4 trucks back then, so it requires some changes. Fortunately, your 351M has the same bellhousing as the 460, and there are engine swap parts available. And if you're not a member, you need to join, because you're gonna need the help. We'd be happy to have you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go over to FTE and check out the thread below. There are a couple of guys, including me, that are putting 460's in Dentside 4x4 trucks. Ford didn't put 460's in 4x4 trucks back then, so it requires some changes. Fortunately, your 351M has the same bellhousing as the 460, and there are engine swap parts available. And if you're not a member, you need to join, because you're gonna need the help. We'd be happy to have you.

Thanks for the help! Just made an account, I'll be seeing you around in the forums there, im gonna need the help for sure!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Excellent. Look for me. Same name as here. I don't think there's anything you'll need, that won't be answered there.
Mike

·
Registered
159 Posts
Casey,

D9TE is the casting number of 385 series blocks starting in 1979. They have a little longer cylinder which is helpful in stroking applications. There were several heads used on that block like D3VE, E7TE, F3TE depending on the year the engine was made. Carbed and FI heads are different and the intakes and exhaust manifolds don't interchange. The D9TE engines were also externally balanced so make sure your flexplate and balancer are correct for the application. Check the head casting numbers and let us know what they are.

I'm on the FTE forum as well. Lots of good info there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
curious about the "crate motor". If it is a smog motor you should install a straight up timing set while the engine is on the stand. And you will need a set of brackets for whatever accessories you will run on this engine. The brackets off the 351 may or may not fit. You will need exhaust manifolds. You are externally balanced so be very careful about the flex plate and vibration dampener. I use stock ford oil pump and pickup along with a truck oil pan and dipstick. If you are careful this is a 100% bolt in deal with all Ford parts. Gather and assemble the brackets, belts and pulleys while the engine is out. Test fit all bolts and spacers, mount the transmission, starter and exhaust manifolds on the engine stand. I pull the dog house and do front cab and core support bushings, install the engine and transmission together and after the installation is complete, put the dog house back on. Makes working on this deal a lot easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts