460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New EDL headed 466, 9.6 comp.,Comp.EX.278H cam 234 deg. int. 244 deg. ex. Meziere water pump, Alum. rad.with two 7/8" pass,18" spall fan with shroud, EMP Stewart hi flow 160 deg. thermo. This thing wants to run at about 200 deg. and higher in 80 deg. weather...Would like to get it down to 180-190.One friend says 50/50 coolant is better and another friend says water and " water weter " works best. Just running straight water now. Any feedback?

*Posted in Engine Tech Archive as well, accidently*

·
Registered
724 Posts
engine temps

Water and water wetter will give you the best results. Water alone would be second best, except then you have no corrosion protection. Water and antifreeze in a 50/50 mix would be third. Never run antifreeze alone unless its a propolene only type like "Evans" Brand and that requires a slightly different set up, and runs the engine at higher temps, generally 230 degrees, but without boiling. If I were you I would try the water wetter/water combo, and change to a 180 degree t-stat. The 160 stat you are running might be circulating the water too fast through the radiator, not allowing enough time for it to throw off the heat. The rest of your parts sound good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
distilled water & water wetter... I ran 50/50 for years in my iron head 466, and it held temp at 180 under normal driving. got up tp 195 when id lay into it alot. my new engine im running water/water wetter and its 165 to 180. both with a 160 t-stat.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
It's simply about science, guys. And, what has better cooling properties.

Plain WATER will run the coolest --
However, The engine itself will run coolest with Water and a normal small amount of "water wetter". The coolant will now run a slightly higher temperature than 100% water because the heat transfer from the engine to the coolant will be improved.

Anti Freeze/Coolant with water will raise the boiling temp of the coolant but, doesn't have better heat dispersing qualities than plain water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blown 473 ?...My fantasy motor!!! Your reply sounds right on...With absolute respect...I have trouble understanding that slowing the water flow down will cool the motor because it spends more time in the motor getting hot. Can you help me with that? P.S. A blown BBF really is something I would love to learn about...Can you help me with that?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Blown 473 ?...My fantasy motor!!! Your reply sounds right on...With absolute respect...I have trouble understanding that slowing the water flow down will cool the motor because it spends more time in the motor getting hot. Can you help me with that? P.S. A blown BBF really is something I would love to learn about...Can you help me with that?
It ALSO spends more time in the radiator getting cooled ... this can go either way depending upon the efficiency of your radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts