460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody eliminated the bypass hose between the intake manifold and the water pump if so how do you go about doing it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why would you want to do that?
I know they are a pain when removing the manifold, but the coolant flow works well as designed, why change it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I plugged mine. Just tapped both ports and put pipe plugs in.
I don't run a thermostat so no bypass is ok but if you plug it i wouldn't run a thermostat.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you do plug it and keep the T-stat at minimum drill a few 1/8 holes in the stat ring.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't done it with the Ford 460 since it has no cooling problem, but I did it with a 400 Oldsmobile that had difficulty staying cool in the summer. I plugged it's bypass and omitted the thermostat. That helped with the cooling noticeably. If you don't want to do the tap & plug route you can buy rubber caps (Dorman?) and use them with hose clamps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
But, what is the advantage of plugging it?
What do you gain?
In my case i don't use a heater in this rig and don't use a thermostat.

Soooo.... i removed a potential leak point by plugging and it's easier removing the intake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I guess - LoL. But it,s brand new again (I have the manifold off pretty regularly) and I'm gettin old and the old Mustang only does a hundred miles or so a year anyway, so it'll probably pop for the next owner!
Interesting idea though. Might do it just for fun. Lock-down is already getting really tedious.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
But, what is the advantage of plugging it?
What do you gain?
eng will run around 5 to 10 deg cooler, all it really does run hot water back into the intake, 5 to 10 can make a big diff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
eng will run around 5 to 10 deg cooler, all it really does run hot water back into the intake, 5 to 10 can make a big diff.
I was always taught the bypass hose flowed water from the intake to the low pressure side of the pump.

Richard

·
Registered
38 Posts
And reducing the pressure in the manifold passage helps keep the thermostat bulb in coolant - not in air or vapour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts