460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on installing a new alternator bracket for my 460, after having removed the old gigantic alternator/smog pump bracket (blocked line of sight to the timing mark). I bought the bracket from CVF Racing. It's pretty nice, bullet aluminum and such. Part of the mounting procedure requires removing the two water pump bolts on the passenger side around the port into the block. Both were not particularly tight, and I assume the lower of the two extends into the coolant passage as some coolant poured out upon its removal. However, while tightening, it appeared that the bolt provided for the bracket pulled out a thread or two at its tip and won't sufficiently tighten.
So, my question is this... Does that bolt secure into the block or the timing cover? Does it seem likely that using a bolt a half inch longer will be able to secure properly?

·
Registered
638 Posts
The bolt screws into the block.A longer bolt might work but be careful. Not all that many threads in that hole and they can get weakened by corrosion.A trick I have used in that situation is to run a m10 tap and bolt in the hole.Thread pitch is the same and the diameter is slightly bigger than 3/8 but you gotta make the call now before you pull the rest of the threads out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts