460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a vehicle with a 1968, Ford 460 Big Block. I am having trouble removing the harmonic balance which I think I can resolve but I need some help with the following:-

I am repairing a water leak which appears to be coming from the back of the timing cover housing near the dip stick and have decided to replace the old pump "while I'm in there" (managing to strip two bolts in the process)

1) With the pump off I see there is NO backing plate! Is this normal for this engine?
Looks like someone has been in there before given the way the bolts were put back in and may be they left the plate out.

2) On both the old and new pumps there is an orange dot on the head of the impeller drive but I don't know why - any ideas?

The retainer cap on the harmonic balance looks different to the book and is proving difficult to shift but may be a bit of heat may help.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome, thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
The retainer cap?

proving difficult to shift ?

????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Could you elaborate on “The retainer cap on the harmonic balancer”? The only thing that should be on the front of the balancer is a washer and bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you elaborate on “The retainer cap on the harmonic balancer”? The only thing that should be on the front of the balancer is a washer and bolt.
Thanks wickettoby1 for your response and I apologise for my poor parts description. The only thing is indeed the washer & bolt which I am pleased to say I have removed as well as the balancer. The timing cover was very corroded and the source of the water leak. I will replace the chain when I can convince my self I have found the correct replacement set for a 68 BB.

I have ordered a new timing cover and water pump backing plate (missing when I pulled the pump off) so just need a chain set now.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts