460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a discussion today I was told about a water pump for the 429\460, made by Moroso possibly, that had the shaft centerline about 3in lower than stock. My uncle, who brought this up, said he had used one on his 68 Cougar with a 460 to get the water pump shaft centerline down low enough to use a mechanical fan and still use the stock hood. Since I'm wanting to use a mechanical fan on my '88 Turbocoupe swap, this seemed like the best option. I checked Moroso's website and found nothing. Has anyone heard of this, and if so, is anyone still making this pump?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Never heard of it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though...
Why not just run an electric fan? I'd never run anything but electric anymore on a hot street car or race car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is going to be a street car with power steering and hopefully air conditioning. I'm not sure that I'll be able to find an electric that will move enough air. My uncle and one of his buddies did this swap about 10yrs ago (back before the swap was popular.) They used a 4 row aluminum radiator, a big pusher fan and 2 puller fans and it still overheated in traffic (and that was without AC.) I've read on here that the Lincoln Mark VIII fan is good, and have thought of trying that...I just thought I'd explore all possibilities.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Cooling with electric fans.

In the old days, electric fans were small and didn't move as much air as mechanical fans.

Fast forward to today. It's easy to get 3000cfm of air moving through the radiator with a parked car. 4000-5000 isn't unheard of.

The biggest issue is you must follow all the same rules as with a mechanical. You need a shroud, and a proper air dam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts