460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys clean/polish your weld wheels?
i bought some meguiars hot rims mag and aluminium polish at the meguiars stand at the summernats. the rep told me its what i need. the stuff is great on chrome and metal etc . but i just read the directions on back and it says not reccomended for clear coated aluminium wheels. are welds clear coated?. i dont think they are. what do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Welds dont have clear coat on them unless somebody put it on mothers aluminum polish works good too.
X2-The ProStars aren't clear coated either, Mothers Billet Polish for me! I'm thinking of buying the Mothers Power Cone and giving it a try for my Weld Pro Stars.
Gary

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Powerball-metal or plexi

Buy the powerball. The cone is good as well as the small ball. The bigger ball is aukward to handle. You will want to use a good drill. I use a plugin drill instead of my cordless, works better. Just wash it out in the sink with some purple cleaner or sutch. It works great for polishing plastics with some Meguires swirl reducer 2.0, make race car windows like new. Tres...

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Wow i never thought about using the power ball on lexan i have some stuff called 210 plus plastic scratch remover that all the charter boat captains use on their plastic/lexan windows around here its a two part process first is the fine paste then the spray polish and its anti fog and anti static it makes lexan look like new again it was 30 bucks 15 each bottle/can but worth it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have found the Mothers polish to work well also.I take my wheels off use a little hand buffer on the flat spots and use my good old fingers on the uneven parts.I use hot soapy water with car wash soap and a sponge to get off any of the black residue that's left over.You can use rags to get the black residue off but i've found the hot soapy water with sponge,rinse and dry works the best for me IMO.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to work for a distributor that sold Weld wheels, and we used a product called What a Shine. That stuff would take the printing off of a Coke can. The green polish was for the rougher stuff and the pink is used for maintenance.

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have used Wicked Products Metal Polish on the big truck for years, I found it worked faster and gave a better shine than the Mothers.

http://www.wickedproducts.ca/product_info.php?products_id=4&SRGid=af39b763b04b329a557577cbde4af9ec

You can get it at Flying J truck stops or online. The truck stops also have many other polishes.

When your polishing 6 big wheels and 2 300 Gal tanks, battery boxes etc, you want fast!! I used it with a Power Ball.

Bill
X2 on the Wicked stuff.I used it for the same reason when I was otr. On my welds now I use Smith Brite.I'm not a big fan of Mothers,too much cleanup afterwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts