460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I suppose your talking about on the intake side and on the first 2 or 3 inches in? It will help some i would think by making port smaller and not deflecting to roof .But You can have too much velocity on floor which will disrupt flow. it would be better to raise port a bunch and weld in rocker area to get height. Welding the intake manifold floor would manditory. They used to do something like this on hemi heads. If you use a victor manifold then the intake manifold port is already higher so that woulnt need filled just head intake port raised. I have read that with a victor bolted to dove heads with a victor port match with clay on botton floor will help flow around 12 cfm, if memory serves me. I welded my TFS street on floor and they flowed great. But they are aluminum and probably wouldnt on a iron head. Unless you experianced and understand airflow i wouldnt take the chance for little gain. But I was hard headed and did, lol.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
does welding floor flat on doves make better flow and performance from them if they have been ported?
Far more to be gained by changing the overall shape of the intake port from a bell shape by opening the roof at the side walls and raising the roof so the port more resembles a true oval.

How the iron passenger car port is worked is also dictated by which intake you are going to utilise.

:D

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I wouldn't even think about welding an intake port on an iron head.
Filling the exhaust floor with braze will net some flow improvements but, unless your relegated to using these heads for a "class situation" it certainly isn't worth the expense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts