460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my company laid me off today I was the only IT guy there and when I got there 2 years ago the place was a mess, So I got the place running smooth and they laid me off since the can support the place off site now from Canada.... What a thanks for doing a good job.

So if anyone needs computer work just let me know I can repair laptops and desktops some programming and networking :)

i'm thinking of looking into repairing MSD boxes soon if I can find a bad one to check out.

Okay I feel better now :)

Dan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks when you do end up working yourself out of a job. It happens in IT somethimes though. Been there done that.

Currently I'm at a pretty decent job I enjoy for the most part, very dedicated to get our infrastructure where it needs to be. Been there about 2 years, even got a raise my 3rd day on the job. :) I think I'm fairly secure since business is good and it seems like my work is appreciated. I've got things in much better shape than when I started. Unfortunately not all of us on the IT team are exactly qualified for the job, but due to workplace politics the problem never gets addressed. Due to that I spend a fair amount of time doing damage control and cleanup. Oh well, eventually the problem will resolve itself.

In any event, when I've been between jobs I've worked for several different contractors that work with Dell doing upgrades/rollouts/etc, and general consulting type stuff. It's not always work every day, the pay isn't very good, but it's work and still something you can put on your resume. Check out Monster and some of the other sites, I'm sure you can find something to hold you over for a while.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys it's not all bad I was on call 24x7 all year and I got a bonus just a month ago :)

I needed to get some work done at home... kind of funny when you have the time you don't have the cash LOL

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks when you do end up working yourself out of a job. It happens in IT somethimes though. Been there done that.

Currently I'm at a pretty decent job I enjoy for the most part, very dedicated to get our infrastructure where it needs to be. Been there about 2 years, even got a raise my 3rd day on the job. :) I think I'm fairly secure since business is good and it seems like my work is appreciated. I've got things in much better shape than when I started. Unfortunately not all of us on the IT team are exactly qualified for the job, but due to workplace politics the problem never gets addressed. Due to that I spend a fair amount of time doing damage control and cleanup. Oh well, eventually the problem will resolve itself.

In any event, when I've been between jobs I've worked for several different contractors that work with Dell doing upgrades/rollouts/etc, and general consulting type stuff. It's not always work every day, the pay isn't very good, but it's work and still something you can put on your resume. Check out Monster and some of the other sites, I'm sure you can find something to hold you over for a while.
I have done the Dell deal before like you said it was okay but not great.... it's funny in the IT world how some people can fake there way in a company for a long time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear that , this whole economy is a mess, seems almost nobody is safe.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dan.

Our town is loosing jobs like crazy too. Fram (oil filters), Crane Plumbing (bath tubs, sinks), Standard Products (auto weatherstripping, engine mounts), Dura (park brake cables), KSR (brake shoes). Hundreds of jobs in a couple of years.

You might find you do better on your own!! The wife and I are trying that now, the trucking is pretty slow here too.

Good luck!!

Bill

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya this place is a paper mill and they have never made any money in the 2 years I was there so something had to happen sooner or later. this place was just a big pile of stress but dam it if this happened earlyer I would drove down to the Bash :)

I have done other types of work so I have some stuff to fall back on. I did hight tech coatings for aircrafts before and auto work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Damn that stinks Dan. You are a sharp guy It will only lead to something better for you. If you need a hand on the stang let me know I'll drive up. Mondays ae best because We are on short work weeks.....

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Soory for your bad luck, I am in construction and we have not done any thing in 3 weeks now, it seems we well work for a week and think it is getting better and all of a sudden it dies, and we do nothing for 2-3 weeks:mad:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
thanks guys it's not all bad I was on call 24x7 all year and I got a bonus just a month ago :)

I needed to get some work done at home... kind of funny when you have the time you don't have the cash LOL
i know what you mean. i just got back to work after 8 or so weeks off. They called me back when the electrical supervisor and senior guy quit (the only 2 there) so now they called me back and i'm the BOSS..well...not really but .. in electrical i'm the guy. I wasnt to upset with the time off as i was/am renovating my house. We had some money saved but my bank account is slowly dwindling, Lucky the wife has a good job. Now that i'm back though they cut our wages big time. i'll be making somewhere around 8or 10 less per hour. Its still worth it though as i cant make that wage as a regular construction electrician.

One more thing that sucks is the beer consumption goes up too. I thought about switching to discount brands.
Luckily things didn't get that bad and i could still afford the good stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I feel your pain Dan-today was my last day after 10 years also working on staff for a paper manufacturing company (in Canada). The company has tried to lay us off (no severance) so 40 of us that were given the news at the same time have gotten legal advice. It is a little disappointing, but a little exciting at the same time. I am looking forward to seeing what else is out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear that I'm a Drywall subcontractor and average 10 days of work a month its bad out there.Thank God for my wife she's been picking up the slack by working extra hours and switching to nightshift. I'm just thankful the bills are getting paid

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dan, I dont know how you feel about Virginia, But I was on the local Roanoke, Gov job site...and the Veterans Adm, in Roanoke is looking for a IT Tech... I cant remember what the salary base was...But if your interested ? I'll check it out for you and let you know !

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan, I dont know how you feel about Virginia, But I was on the local Roanoke, Gov job site...and the Veterans Adm, in Roanoke is looking for a IT Tech... I cant remember what the salary base was...But if your interested ? I'll check it out for you and let you know !
I don't know we used to go down there when I was speedskating and the wife is more in tune with TN.. I'll go anyplace as long as I can race too :)

I wonder if thay have any work that I can go home on the weekends :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn that stinks Dan. You are a sharp guy It will only lead to something better for you. If you need a hand on the stang let me know I'll drive up. Mondays ae best because We are on short work weeks.....
Thanks but right now I'm just waiting on some parts to be fixed as you know :(
Is your car all set now?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel your pain Dan-today was my last day after 10 years also working on staff for a paper manufacturing company (in Canada). The company has tried to lay us off (no severance) so 40 of us that were given the news at the same time have gotten legal advice. It is a little disappointing, but a little exciting at the same time. I am looking forward to seeing what else is out there.
Was the company Cascades???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts