460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep Success! The cam broke is fine!

Not happy with some of the crankcase pressure tho.. I had a similar problem with my 545.. Fox pan and 8 quarts of oil.. Ummm.. got 60+ oil pressure when cool but at 190 degrees I'm looking at 25psi or so.. I know the motor is been around the world so I'll use the rule of thumb of 10 psi @ 1000 Rpms.. At 190 degrees ya rev it and the oil pressure follows.. I guess the only thing left to do is stick in in the car and run it!

Anyways I'll put up a video soon! I'll add it to this thread.. should be tomorrow night.. Check back!

Laters!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yea, seems like 25 psi is pretty low for a "fresh" build. What oil pump did you go with? Lowest I've had on a fresh motor idling hot was 65 psi. Chris

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frank Merkl said:
Did you put New bearing in it ?
Frank
No Frank.. wasn't allow to.. Shop owner says run it! The block was a gift.. Free.. He wanted me to use the D3 ported heads and when I seen thoses valves in the D3's.. I asked to run my Doves with SS valves!

I'm stuck between a hard place and a rock..

Thank You Frank for adding to the post.. Ya Rock Bro! I'll do what I can..

I have brand new fresh bearing that are good from my 545..

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ccso640 said:
Yea, seems like 25 psi is pretty low for a "fresh" build. What oil pump did you go with? Lowest I've had on a fresh motor idling hot was 65 psi. Chris
It's a well pump motor that has ran a million miles!

I'm out of $$ and the deal was Free..

^Well Pump motor

Not Fresh!

Laters!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Nothing wrong with 25psi at idle hot. As long as you get 60 or more as you wind it up, I don't see the problem. If you're truly concerned, run some 20/50 oil. Trend has been to run lighter and lighter oils. I know of a 477 chevrolet (destroked 502) that ran 0w30 and had about 40 psi at 8000 rpm. Made right at 800 hp with a flat tappet camshaft. Now that's some oil pressure I'd be afraid of.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
25 at idle is o.k.

Our old worn out 460 gets around 19-20 at idle warmed up with synthetic. ( it only gets 12 psi with regular oil)
Of course this engine has been on the edge for the last 4 seasons of racing and the trans shifts at 4300.

They last alot longer than people think.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Grumpy Jenkins explained it this way to a 17 YO kid way back in the early
'70s, when quearied about the lack of oil pressure in his 331ci Vega,
"Who the F**k gives a S**t about Pressure, I know I've got flow". That
is where the lesson ended...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
331 aint floatin 3" mains............ with a bearing surface speed of 5495 feet per minute......... pressure helps keep the two shiney pieces of metal away from eachother, it also implies a volume sufficient to fill the void, wich is cooling, cleaning, and lubricating.........

No it doesn't need 100lbs of pressure to ensure all is well..... but way low............. aint good either. Espeacially depending on where the pressure sensor is reading.

Low pressure on a 385 with that much surface area, and flat bearings.... could spell disaster on rod bearings....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doug Rahn said:
I don't understand Les :shock: . If it was a gift, then it's your's, right! Then what you do to it is really none of his business.
I'd have to explain it in a PM to you..

Laters!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kim said:
331 aint floatin 3" mains............ with a bearing surface speed of 5495 feet per minute......... pressure helps keep the two shiney pieces of metal away from eachother, it also implies a volume sufficient to fill the void, wich is cooling, cleaning, and lubricating.........

No it doesn't need 100lbs of pressure to ensure all is well..... but way low............. aint good either. Espeacially depending on where the pressure sensor is reading.

Low pressure on a 385 with that much surface area, and flat bearings.... could spell disaster on rod bearings....
Kim did ya watch the vid??? What do ya think?

Laters!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Figure thats 20w 50 oil in the thing, and the temp gauge never really moved, so I don't think the video ever saw 180 degree water temp, nor 180 degree oil temp.

If your going to flog it for a season.... I think it will probably hold up.

I don't mind sacraficing a little peak hp for the reassurance there aren't problems, espeacially seeing your looking at a stock oil system feeding the mains through the lifters to feed the rods.

Hell with the 351W style system in the A460 block, and the small journal 2.100 rod journals I have, I would still like more oil pressure...... in flow. I would pitch the stock pump, and run a high volume. Im not so worried about the bearing clearance, stock bearings with the hours on.... are probably about race clearance from wear about now... the stock pump just aint made to fill the void.

Failure from low oil pressure/low flow is going to hit rod bearings first...... The issue with the main is just getting oil to the rods. 3/4 and full grove main bearings source the rods better, and require more pump....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kim,

I installed my Hi Vol Pump off the 545.. It had the same pump but mine was clearanced for the girddle / windage tray.

I pulled the main at the thrust bearing and who ever built the engine added a slight groove in the lower bearing. The groove was the thickness of a cutoff wheel but maybe .0300 in leinght on both sides of the lower bearing?? The Well Pump Motor is a strange critter!

Laters!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Only thing that concerns me is that I have a feeling this motor is going to get run pretty hard which in my opinion should call for new rod/main bearings. If a bearing fails its going to be another grenade and you're back to starting over basically. If it were mine I'd make sure the bottom end was fresh, small cost for insurance. Sounded pretty good! Chris

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ccso640 said:
Only thing that concerns me is that I have a feeling this motor is going to get run pretty hard which in my opinion should call for new rod/main bearings. If a bearing fails its going to be another grenade and you're back to starting over basically. If it were mine I'd make sure the bottom end was fresh, small cost for insurance. Sounded pretty good! Chris
Thanks Chris.. Ya Rock!

Laters!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts