Community Manager/Admin
83 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
83 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
83 Posts
well there is always www.429-460.com >:)
This:
Most users ever online was 2,369, 09-26-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Vs.

This:
Most users ever online was 313 on Tue 29 Jan 2013 - 22:46

Really small site.

Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
The 'classic look' helps. But, looking at the Classified section is still screwed up for me. Dates are all jumbled up.

Jess

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This:

Vs.

This:

Really small site.

Jeff

Just cuz this site is "bigger" doesn't automatically mean it better serves the 429-460 crowd in the long run vs a smaller site. This site's large number of unanswered/ignored posts over the years in various sections is a better (and troubling) indicator of this site's "actual value" to the 429-460 crowd than it's size is. Are it's advertisers better served cuz it's a bigger site?.....yes of course, more traffic means happy advertisers. But the advertisers aren't supposed to be the main focus here.......right?......right???

And as far as the new layout goes the old one wasn't broke, it didn't need fixing. Before all the sections were out in the open, just point & click, now you have to dig around in the drop-downs for them. Plus the new layout looks way too much like a copy of the hotrod/carcraft magazine website layout. Car Craft Magazine - Hot Rod Network

·
Registered
846 Posts
The 'classic look' helps. But, looking at the Classified section is still screwed up for me. Dates are all jumbled up.

Jess
X2 No matter what options I select the For Sale section is still FUBAR..

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just cuz this site is "bigger" doesn't automatically mean it better serves the 429-460 crowd in the long run vs a smaller site. This site's large number of unanswered/ignored posts over the years in various sections is a better (and troubling) indicator of this site's "actual value" to the 429-460 crowd than it's size is. Are it's advertisers better served cuz it's a bigger site?.....yes of course, more traffic means happy advertisers. But the advertisers aren't supposed to be the main focus here.......right?......right???

And as far as the new layout goes the old one wasn't broke, it didn't need fixing. Before all the sections were out in the open, just point & click, now you have to dig around in the drop-downs for them. Plus the new layout looks way too much like a copy of the hotrod/carcraft magazine website layout. Car Craft Magazine - Hot Rod Network
Well said

·
Registered
846 Posts
This:

Vs.

This:

Really small site.

Jeff
I would expect no less of a reply from an admin here...
But as others have said...
Maybe it's quality over quantity..

·
Community Manager/Admin
83 Posts

·
Community Manager/Admin
83 Posts

Heya,
@D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Thanks for the reply,

I can hopefully clear some stuff up for you. I know change is hard to deal with but we are making this updates for the site and communities health in the long run. Yes there are advertisers but they pay for the staff support, servers costs, and upgrade likes this. Without them you would not be able to access the site nor keep it running smoothly.

My main focus and duty as a Community Manager is to keep our sites active, happy, and work with the community to make the best experience possible for the end users.

In regards to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" quote I see 20x a day on the 300+ sites I have upgraded. Unfortunately the site was broke in the eyes of Google's new mobile rules and was missing many features that most sites now offer. Websites have to upgrade, update, and evolve to stay relevant. (see links below). Without updates they fall behind, come up less in search, users are unable to access in mobile, and it will end up choking out the site.

Googles new rules for websites: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6196932?hl=en

Here is a site not touched since 1996 as an example of how far the web has come: Space Jam

All major players will be updating sites, why do you think HotRod.com made updates? We built out this custom template 3 years ago and have been continuously improving it ever since.

I hope some of this clears up the purpose behind the updates and changes, we would not be investing all these resources to make the site worse or to alienate our community.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Jeff,

There are limits man. Talking **** on Space Jam the movie is freaking uncalled for.

Do not do it again!

Frank

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts