460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went huntin' last weekend on the season opener and we faired pretty well...
I got this buck and three does, my son filled one of his doe tags, and a buddy of mine also took a good buck. All from the same field... :shock: :wink:

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very nice deer, Thunderchicken! I'd love to hunt Montana!

Still bow season here in East Tennessee. Been out three times, only saw deer the second time. In fact, they were all over me, but could never get a good draw on them. Muzzleloader starts Saturday, then rifle season in a couple of weeks.

Envy you for that elk hunt, Frank.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome..... I wanna see some pics when you get back... Unless you're like me when sometimes all I get is "BACK" & "TIRED" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck Frank...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hows this for a road kill deer

They call it a Sitka deer

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thats kind of what they think. But don't know where it came from.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ky mustang said:
Congrats , but you are getting a late start we get after em in sept in ky with stick throwers :lol:

Same here, we start our archery season the 1st Saturday in Sept. until 3rd week in Oct. Except in a small area in the "Valley" where I live and it starts Aug. 15th with a restricted weapons hunt (bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, traditional pistol) Then our general rifle season starts and goes until Thanksgiving weekend...

I had a Hoyt like yours until PSE came out with their new X-Force 6 both awesome bows, but I've never shot any bow so fast and quiet... My hunting combo spits 'em out @ 310fps with a 460gr arrow @ 70# & 30" draw...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You gotta get your priorities in order buddy..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll fix that when you draw your permits to come out and hunt... :wink:

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the trykon is its just a tad heavy. If we started in August here we would have a heat stroke , its bad enough in Sept. :lol: Do you waterfowl hunt also? I really enjoy that . I have too many expensive hobbies :shock:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't do much waterfowl huntin' here... Some grouse & pheasant... I had some pretty bad experiences with ducks and geese as far as eating, never had a good one...

I pretty much stick with deer and elk because we can shoot so many of them here Mostly only 1 elk but sometimes 2 depending on the areas you hunt. But deer and antelope combined we can shoot around 40 animals a year legally... I supply alot of meat to alot of aunts and uncles, brothers, cousins, etc... Homeless shelter, whoever "needs" it...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
248 Posts
36 truck said:
Hows this for a road kill deer

They call it a Sitka deer
THAT looks like a Fallow buck - we have 'em here in New Zealand and I've shot/seen quite a few.
Cunning as any deer you've seen - main weakness is they keep hanging around one general area instead of vamoosing way out yonder.

Get two types, (actually three if you count the quite rare white ones) either the same colour as the one in the picture and a colour scheme very similar to a white-tail complete with white tail etc.

Oh, by the way, NO season and NO bag-limit here in NZ for white-tail, elk (called Wapiti here) red deer, sika deer, fallow deer, thar, chamois, pigs, etc etc...

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
ThndrChkn said:
I don't do much waterfowl huntin' here... Some grouse & pheasant... I had some pretty bad experiences with ducks and geese as far as eating, never had a good one...

I pretty much stick with deer and elk because we can shoot so many of them here Mostly only 1 elk but sometimes 2 depending on the areas you hunt. But deer and antelope combined we can shoot around 40 animals a year legally... I supply alot of meat to alot of aunts and uncles, brothers, cousins, etc... Homeless shelter, whoever "needs" it...

Doug... 8)

I'm one of the homeless that loves Elk meat. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tennessee's bow season started in September, and I was wrong on the muzzleloader. It starts a week from this Saturday. Think I'll still put on camo and leave in the morning to avoid some chores, though.

Kymustang, that's a nice deer. Hate to say it, but I have yet to put one down with my bow. I started two seasons ago, but last year didn't get to go bowhunting but twice. Been three times this season, only saw deer once, and that was after a cold front. I don't think the deer were moving around those other two times because it has been so hot around here.

So, out of the dozen times I have been bowhunting, I haven't been able to stick one yet. They say it takes a while to get your first. Like good bass fishing, you have to put in some time before you start taking good trophies.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Our rifle season starts next weeend here in Central Texas, but here is mine from last season. I was working on my CASE 2590 tractor all day and wanted to go huntin in the evening but time got away from me. I looked at the clock and it was 4:45 (It's dark by 6:00). I washed my hands, grabbed my rifle and walked to my back pasture. I got to the stand and 20 minutes later this guy walks out and down he went. I kinda feel a little guilty- thats too easy. The good news is that before that I think I saw a bigger one about 1000 yards away in my neighbor's pasture. I couldn't pass this guy up. It was like a 20 mph wind blowing that day too. Last week I was back in that pasture checking on my cattle and I saw a big one again. I can't wait. Actually the deer population is low in my neck of the woods. We were a 1 buck county until last year where we could bag one "good" buck and one cull- no doe, except with bow. The "good" buck has to meet certain requirements, mainly a 13" inside spread. It's kind of hard to tell sometimes if they would pass, so it's best to just let them walk. I havn't ventured into bow hunting yet, but it looks fun.

stephen

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
oh ya, 140 B&C without deductions. I think if he grew them they should count.

stephen

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
:D Dirty work clothes and all, I like it. 8)

Hey kymustang, it would be nice to go hunting in our work clothes with no scent worry, wouldn't it? :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dang, skosler, that's a beauty there. There's a better one than that near you? Go for it!

I am tempted to go out for a few hours next week before my afternoon classes . . . won't go in work clothes, but I could teach in my hunting camo and boots.

Think I would wipe off the camo make-up, though. I forgot to last Saturday, and my wife said "oh, you look real tired." I still had brown and black smeared under my eyes. She figured it out before I could get her to bring me a beer while I laid on the couch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts