460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend Wes and his cousin Shannon made a trip down to Jonesboro Arkansas to race at George Ray's Dragstrip, a fun time was had by all. George Ray's has been owned and operated continuously by George since around 1961 and he still runs it today. It's look and overall layout has not changed since that time. The tracks a bit narrow but not rough, a real down home type of track and racing experience. They have no lighting so racing only happens during the daytime.

D

·
0 Posts
Those places are a riot to race at !!! Reminds me of South Butler in NY where you do a burn-out under a corn crib !! :shock: and sometimes have to wait for the cows to get out if the way !! :lol:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Ive seen that deal on Horsepower TV, gonna have to go one day, very cool. Also good to see Wes back in the saddle, I notice it has dual toilets on it now as well.

My 1st ever pass down a dragstrip was at a track real close to that caliber, the shutdown was too short and you would go off into a cow pasture on the big end, return road was dirt etc. Literally would have cow crap on the rear quarters from the trip back to the pits lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That place is a trip back to the past (as I have seen in the magazines :oops: , I am 34 years old). We used to go down there when I was a kid and I raced 6.50 class there in one time in 1996. I told my buddy that went with me to race that he needed to listen for my time because there were no time slips. Heck, George Ray had just made a starting tree a few years before that! You have to bring your own water for burnouts and VHT for the starting line. It is really cool. Richter 69, you better hurry up if you plan on going, I heard George Ray is just about ready to retire and close 'er down.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's what Wes said if both red light, both are out. I'm not sure what happens if both break out, I think both out on that too. I think the index system could be simple and work well and I would say that the timing system can be much more simple too.

Wes said the people by the starting line really scatted when he did his first burnout, 7200rpm wide open across the starting line!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Been there too its in Paragould,AR in march i drove to Popular Bluff,MO to buy my car for the big block project and thats the track the guy races at so he took me on sunday and its really neat i met George and his wife their very nice people it was diffrent you gotta pour water in front of your buddys tires for the burnout then VHT after that for a few spins. The guy i bought the car from was great also his dad was running a four banger turbo ranger that hauled.The car i bought was known as the Snoopstang it was Chris Murdocks old car him and his dad Johnny Dwain built it. Now its getting abused on the east coast tracks with big block power.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the pics Dave. Hey Wess , your truck rocks man!!!

Homer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts