460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tossing around the idea of purchasing a abrasive blaster. My first thoughts were to purchase a medium sized cabinet blaster, but i also have a few larger items like a rear end housing and such i would like to clean up. Plus i like the idea of a portable unit for much larger jobs. While looking for pressurized sand blasters i also found "soda blasters". the reviews i have read say the soda blasters "easliy" removed all debri except the most stubburn rust and coatings. The soda is much more gentle than the sand for alum, but i could also use corn cobs or walnuts in the abrasive blaster. What are your thoughts? Soda, abrasive????? Any experience with either one?

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Most abrasive blasters should be fine using Baking soda in them, there are some issues you need to be aware of using sand blasters though. It is considered a carsnogen and you can't simply use it outdoors unless you want a huge fine the baking soda is not though. You will need a seperate and dedicated area to work in and adequate ventilation.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I was looking at media blasters and was told there was nothing to change to run soda through them. Maybe the discharge orifice is smaller for soda specific models and need a larger one for other media. I am little confused now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am way confused, i would like to run a wide range of media, if the noozle ID is the only difference that woudl be great.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Soda blaster

Just go to tptools.com they have all the info you need about all types of cabinets, media, soda etc. They even have a free catalog that they send you just ask. They have a add on system for running soda in a cabinet because the soda can't be reused so how the soda is delivered changed. They have a great mid sized cabinet/soda setup that is a pretty good deal for a quality set-up. Check it out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I only use aluminum oxide now in my blaster. Long life and strips very quickly. Leaves a great finish for paint.
is there not a health risk with this media?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Everybody worries about the health risks from the different blasting media. No matter which media you use, the stuff you're blasting off (paint, lead, rust, asbestos, petroleum products, etc) are all health risks so you just have to protect yourself. Personally, I stick with sand because of the cost of the other stuff.
I have an old 1300 gallon plastic water tank with a door opening cut in it and a barn ventilating fan on the top hole for ventilation. I put the parts in the tank and I sit outside doing the blasting. There's enough air rushing in the doorway that I don't get any dust but I still wear a dust mask to be on the safe side. Using that tank saves the sand but the dust all blows away so you can keep reusing the sand. Without the fan removing the dust you can only reuse the sand a few times and it becomes so dusty that there's no visibility.
You need a minimum 5 HP compressor and 7 or 10 is even better. You have to maintain close to 100 PSI or it gets to be a slow process. I've blasted aluminum with sand and it cleans it up good but leaves a dull finish. You just have to hold the nozzle farther away or you could get some gouging so take it easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts