460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im wondering which aftermarket axle company you guys are useing ? mark williams ,strange , moser. and what spline with what kind of power level. and anyone running the gun drilled axles thanks brad

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys ive talked to all 3 places but one will say i need 35 spline next will say 40 spline. this is for a mud truck so it never really hooks up solid so i think 35 will be fine mark williams things 40 spline . been running stock dana 70 axles for a year and havent broke them . thanks brad

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Moser site has a really nice calculator (link below), enter your data and it will show the torque value at the axle, it uses a 200% rating factor, for example the 35 splines are rated to 9600 ft lbs, that would be for one axle, etc. My combo will exert 8100 ft lbs to the axles, it shows I would have been safe to run 33 splines, I stepped it up to 35's for future growth.
I'd have to say, if you want the best and have the budget, I think MW is your ticket. I have no complaints about Moser, very nice axles for what I considered a reasonable price.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/axletech.html

D

·
0 Posts
All my cars are currently running all Strange stuff and i have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. I'm looking at using Moser, just because their prices are a little lower and the salesmen over the phone where friendlier. I must say MW salesmen where nice just expensive and he got a little testy when I asked if certian parts would work with other manufactures.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
jones said:
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. I'm looking at using Moser, just because their prices are a little lower and the salesmen over the phone where friendlier. I must say MW salesmen where nice just expensive and he got a little testy when I asked if certian parts would work with other manufactures.
the reason he got testy is they wont work with others. their splines aren't the same as Strange and Moser.

Id buy Strange, but that's just me.

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I have strange and Mosier both and use them. I was going to try MW but he said he made his so no one can use any other stuff cuz he wants to sell it all to you..

it is all good just I didn't like that I had to buy only his stuff.

Randy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Strange can make axles for MW spools. I have Strange 35 spline axles in my MW spool. All that they needed was the number off of the spool so that they would know the taper.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
cougar1969 said:
I was going to try MW but he said he made his so no one can use any other stuff cuz he wants to sell it all to you..it is all good just I didn't like that I had to buy only his stuff. Randy
Well truth be told I'm sure all of the axle makers out there would like you to buy just from them and them alone (it's not just MW). But MW went with their own design 45* pressure angles on their splines because it just makes for a stronger spline.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys i really apriciate the help ill give you a call tomarrow twekd1 thanks im sure i should probably go with 40 spline axles even in the mud i know i would if i was on a drag strip with a high torque motor just trying to get by with as light an asembly as posible to reduce rotating mass ty brad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts