460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 12 year old optima is pretty much dead now. Ive been reading that theyre not exactly as good as they used to be. Anyways i was wondering what you guys recommend. I prefer one thats on the smallish side to save some weight. Car is not really driven in any kind of extreme weather (never sees under 40* F or over 90*F). im running a mini gear reduction starter on a 532BBF. any other info needed? Car is a 1968 Galaxie, mechanical fuel pump and water pump but electric fan

·
Registered
817 Posts
my 12 year old optima is pretty much dead now. Ive been reading that theyre not exactly as good as they used to be. Anyways i was wondering what you guys recommend. I prefer one thats on the smallish side to save some weight. Car is not really driven in any kind of extreme weather (never sees under 40* F or over 90*F). im running a mini gear reduction starter on a 532BBF. any other info needed? Car is a 1968 Galaxie, mechanical fuel pump and water pump but electric fan[/QUOTE
didnt know optima lasted that long the ones i know of where short lived. myself i run the biggest battery i can fit i use a group 31 with 1100 cca but thats me

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my 12 year old optima is pretty much dead now. Ive been reading that theyre not exactly as good as they used to be. Anyways i was wondering what you guys recommend. I prefer one thats on the smallish side to save some weight. Car is not really driven in any kind of extreme weather (never sees under 40* F or over 90*F). im running a mini gear reduction starter on a 532BBF. any other info needed? Car is a 1968 Galaxie, mechanical fuel pump and water pump but electric fan[/QUOTE
didnt know optima lasted that long the ones i know of where short lived. myself i run the biggest battery i can fit i use a group 31 with 1100 cca but thats me
i see, why the biggest battery though? will the car run better? i drive this car on the street though but only maybe 2 times a month and maybe 5 times a month in the nicer months

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Several wrecking yards around here sell reconditioned batterys for ~$30.00, as do a couple of shops that specialize in them. They come with a 1 year guarantee, but I generally get 3+ years out of them in my daily driver type junk.

Plus, you can tell everyone how earth friendly your car is with it's recycled battery.

:D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several wrecking yards around here sell reconditioned batterys for ~$30.00, as do a couple of shops that specialize in them. They come with a 1 year guarantee, but I generally get 3+ years out of them in my daily driver type junk.

Plus, you can tell everyone how earth friendly your car is with it's recycled battery.

:D
Haha maybe ill give that a try.what cranking amp range you think my car needs given the conditions I listed.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Haha maybe ill give that a try.what cranking amp range you think my car needs given the conditions I listed.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using AutoGuide.Com Free
Pump gas, never below 40*, high torque starter....600?

Seriously, with all these new high tech batteries a guy has to wonder how cars were ever raced in the previous century. :confused:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
12 years is good going IMO, i would buy another one and by 2024 maybe something special will be created which will last forever.....lol

But seriously they are great batteries, never let me down.

·
Registered
817 Posts
i see, why the biggest battery though? will the car run better? i drive this car on the street though but only maybe 2 times a month and maybe 5 times a month in the nicer months
well in my truck 1952 f1 there isnt much room for a large rad. so i needed the best elec. fan i could get the dodge viper fan 40 amp draw. which run after shut down for 5- 10 min. plus the trans cooler fan does the same but at 8 amps the smaller batt. wont hold up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts