460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,050 Posts
Which brand is better and why ?
They are both fine. Many of the aftermarket ones come with an Aluminium pin that you have to drive in the top if you don't use the front mounted dipstick. Other than that they all work the same. I've never heard any complaints about either. I personally have the aftermarket one on my motor. Actually it is now on my third motor. No issues at all. Don't fear either.

·
Registered
333 Posts
They are both fine. Many of the aftermarket ones come with an Aluminium pin that you have to drive in the top if you don't use the front mounted dipstick. Other than that they all work the same. I've never heard any complaints about either. I personally have the aftermarket one on my motor. Actually it is now on my third motor. No issues at all. Don't fear either.
9 mm brass will plug it !!

·
Administrator
5,050 Posts
A couple of months ago that 9mm would have been 100 times the price of the Aluminium pin...

If I recall correctly there is a fat part & skinny part to that pin. The 9mm would only plug the top outside fat hole but I guess that doesn't really matter as long as it did plug the hole.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What brand is yours ?

·
Administrator
5,050 Posts
What brand is yours ?
I don't remember the brand but I got it off of eBay. That's just how much it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure they are dang near all the same. They are all straight off the boat from China. And keep in mind I have close to $20,000 in the motor now so the timing cover just really ins't a big factor. They all work.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I prefer the old style front sump timing cover. Dipstick in the cover type. I do a little clean up on the casting flash and maybe a little alum welding in the water jackets to get rid on erosion. They worked for many engines, why reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the Chinesium brand off eBay, works fine. Just make sure you install the balancer spacer before you tighten all the bolts down so the front seal is properly centered. Mine‘s a front sump motor, so I just pounded the tube in a little at a time until the dipstick read “full“ with oil in the pan.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the cast-in slots around the water ports were a bit misaligned with the slots in the gasket. They are there to keep water from getting into the crankcase through the timing cover in case the gasket fails where the sealing area is pretty thin. I used a dremel and a 1/8” ball bit to rework the grooves so, if the gasket fails, it will leak to the outside instead of into the oil pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts