460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1997 Ford F-250 with a 460 engine. Starting in 1996 all Ford vehicles sold in the US have the EEC-V system. I've looked all over and cannot find a code reader. I can find them all day long for the EEC-IV system but they only go to 1995.The plug in on my truck has 3 blade connections and a single wire blade connection under the hood on the drivers side.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

OBD 1 reader if you really think you need to read the codes.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Thanks, that is the one I have. On the bottom of the reader it says 1981-1995. My truck is a 1997. Why wouldn't I want to look at the codes?

·
Registered
131 Posts
On the 460s, Ford used OBD-1 up to 1997 and only changed when they introduced the SuperDuty in 1997.

Not sure how useful the codes are as they are pretty rudimentary in OBD-1 and you normally know what this issue is before scanning. I have yet to find a need to pull codes on mine.

You might, however, be able to pull something if you happen to get a FORD bus scanner for a song. The bus runs separately from the OBD-1 and is usually accessed in the engine compartment via the diagnostic port. The closest aftermarket tool that I am aware of that can also access the pcm/ecu is the quarterhorse.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts