460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 68 notch back mustang with a 351 Boss and a 66 El Camino with a 454.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
From the early 70s and into the early 80s I raced a 60 Starliner with [1st] a mild solid lifter cam 390. [2nd] a 427 S/O 2 x 4 with 2 600 holleys. Went on to crew on a 526" Donovan powered TAFC

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I "cruised" the streets with a 78 Mercury Marquis. Factory 351M, which I swapped out for a 429. Ultimately ended up with a rollerized C6, 3000 stall, 3.89 gears. Not the fastest car known to man, but it surprised a lot of people back then.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Didn't race in the 80s but did in the 70s with a 70 Boss 302. Back then at the track you got a hand written slip with only the 1/4 mile ET and mph. This was at Motor City Dragway. Low 13 second cars were considered quick on the street back then.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
80s?.......that was a while back LOL. Still running go-karts in CPWA (Canadian power to weight association) in the summer, then raced sleds (snowmobiles for you guys down south) in OSRF (Ontario snowmobile racing federation) in the winter.Got into building and racing the Comet one step at a time as well as racing quads in OATVA (Ontario all terrain vehicle association) which I won the 4 wheel/4 stroke stock championship on a 350 Yamaha Warrior in 86.
Now that I've dated myself as a fossil, lets hear from the rest of ya......LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
71 Pinto with a 289 with a 4 speed. A lot of fun :) No quarter mile times.

A 1978 Mustang II with a 69 351W (4 speed again) 13.90's with traction issues and not knowing how to shift :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
Didn't race in the 80s but did in the 70s..........
Damn Dave... you be old Dude :p I was still in high school :D.

I remember seeing the muscle cars cruisin town where I grew up (Bad Axe, MI). A friend of mine (Mark) had an older brother (Ed) who was about 5 years older than us and was into Mopars. I was walking to Mark's one day and Ed picked me up in his Road Runner, gave me a ride I would never forget and haven't. So thanks to him he corrupted me. My first muscle car was a dark Forest green 66 Fairlane GT 390 4 speed.... that I which I had today :rolleyes: .The first car I drag raced at the track was a 66 Chevelle SS 4 speed car, it ran 14.20's.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was involved in circle track racing in the mid to late '80s. Crewed for the only Ford car in a sea of Chevys. A shortened '72 Torino. Ran a 408 "Clevor" back before it was commonplace. Set a track record and won most of the time. They always thought we were cheating because there was no way a Ford was gonna beat all those GM guys. lol. They tried everything they could to slow us down--made us get rid of the aussie Cleveland heads, add weight etc. We still kicked a$$. I believe we one the track championship in '88.
Horsepower wasn't the reason we won but a very good driver and a guy who new how to set up a chassis. Our car could pass on the outside in the turns. That was a very fun time.

Also helped a buddy out in '89 and '90 who was drag racing a '73 Mustang fastback.
Started with a 4V Cleveland then a 400 with the 4V C heads and finally a 460 (I talked him into the 460) :). He won the track championship both years in the street class running 11.40s I believe. Not bad considering the amount of money that was tied up in the car.

I started racing a short time later with my old short bed '79 F100 with a 460/C-6 combo. I ran 12.80s in the street class. Pretty decent times for a low budget daily driver.

·
Registered
194 Posts
69 Camaro. 350 ci, 280H cam, torquer II intake, holley 750 carb, muncie 4 sp with hurst competition plus shifter, 12 bolt posi with 2.73 high mpg gears and BF Goodrich 295/50/15s, complete with cherry bombs and gabriel hi jackers to keep the quarter panels off the tires.

Car ran 14.6s at 98 mph severely hampered by the tall gears.

I did run side by side with my buddy's 429 powered 71 mach 1 from a roll...until he ran out of top end.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pretty much the same stuff I have now, Mavericks and the Mustang. I had a Maverick 302/C6 with mufflers (quiet mufflers) and street tires (not the sticky ones like now) and it went 11.40 in the 1/4, total street car... Slow for now a days though.... The Mustang hasn't changed much, but it is not street driven anymore, pretty much the same build from the mid 80's mild 460, low 12's motor, high 10's juiced.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well, I was still riding bmx bikes and skateboards, but my Dad had a 72 Skylark that ran 12.90s almost stock with a full interior....455, Offy intake, 850 double pumper, open headers, and that was it. Stock cam, even. That got me into the whole thing, and in the early 90s my brother got a 66 Chevelle drag car that ran mid 11s with a 468. I got my Mach 1 in 1992, but I was 12 at the time, so I couldn't exactly drive it legally.....Miss the old days being a kid with my two brothers and Dad all at the track.....

Lucas

·
Registered
271 Posts
In the 80s I was mostly off roading had a 78 Plymouth Trailduster ( Dodge Ramcharger with Plymouth badges). In 84 I bought one of the first 4x4 Rangers V6 Auto. I year later 3rd head cracked an out of warranty. I Stuck a 302 3 speed out of a 69 Box Bronco in it made an awesome truck out of doing that. Playing around Azusa Canyon this dude asks me what kind of mufflers was I running to make the V6 sound so good. Called me a liar when I told him it was a 302. Not enough room to put one in a Ranger and still look stock not to mention drive it on the street. He took down all the info and how I did it like using 78 Granada Motor mounts and moving the radiator under the core support with radiator cap on an elbow. A couple of months later I read in a 4 wheeling magazine about the new kit Advance Adaptors had put together to install a V8 into the Ranger. Bet you can't guess who got credit for the kit. (hint I can tell you it wasn't me)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts