460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New guy, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have when it comes the engine, ignition, and other components on my next project.

I'm flying blind for now, the truck is about 4 hours away at the estate of my Granddad.

The things I know:

'87 F350 sold as a cab and chasis
460 Carbed, Stock Holley Carb
5 speed Transmission
Manual Transfer Case

So my question would be, as the last year of the carbed 460, what all is it equipped with? I'm 95% sure it has an electric fuel pump as I have to change it out in the field before.

Is it a duraspark ignition?

Would this engine benefit from the straight up timing gears, recurving the distributor?

My ultimate goal with this rig is to restore it and have it for towing and hauling.

I'm after good torque and using 87 octane pump gas.

And above all else, I'm on a budget lol. I believe I can get it running when I get home, but I'm unsure if it will need a rebuild, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Hello all,

New guy, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have when it comes the engine, ignition, and other components on my next project.

I'm flying blind for now, the truck is about 4 hours away at the estate of my Granddad.

The things I know:

'87 F350 sold as a cab and chasis
460 Carbed, Stock Holley Carb
5 speed Transmission
Manual Transfer Case

So my question would be, as the last year of the carbed 460, what all is it equipped with? I'm 95% sure it has an electric fuel pump as I have to change it out in the field before.

Is it a duraspark ignition?

Would this engine benefit from the straight up timing gears, recurving the distributor?

My ultimate goal with this rig is to restore it and have it for towing and hauling.

I'm after good torque and using 87 octane pump gas.

And above all else, I'm on a budget lol. I believe I can get it running when I get home, but I'm unsure if it will need a rebuild, etc.

D9TE block
D3 or E6TE heads.
Duraspark ignition.

Straight up timing set from 93+ EFI engine. Eliminate oil slinger if present.
Properly curved Duraspark distributor
Headers and free breathing exhaust will get you 50 to 60 hp and as much torque.
180 stat

SJ
used 2b RHP

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D9TE block
D3 or E6TE heads.
Duraspark ignition.

Straight up timing set from 93+ EFI engine. Eliminate oil slinger if present.
Properly curved Duraspark distributor
Headers and free breathing exhaust will get you 50 to 60 hp and as much torque.
180 stat

SJ
used 2b RHP

Thank you for the info.

Any thing specific to look at for headers?

I know they will have to fit a 4x4 truck.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Thank you for the info.

Any thing specific to look at for headers?

I know they will have to fit a 4x4 truck.

L&L or hedman

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long time no post.

I'm picking the truck up this weekend and brining it home.

I will provide accurate cast info when I get a chance to look at it.

I think I can get it running, but I'm almost certain it will need a rebuild.

I'm thinking of get the short block done by a machine shop that is within a few hours of me.

I might ship out the heads to be ported... Not sure yet. Hard to find anyone local who does any machining work I would trust. There is a shop on middle TN that has good reviews.

Goals for this truck is to be great torque low and a power increase over stock and to run on pump gas, preferably 87.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi, I don't think they used electric fuel pumps on carburetor motors.. Carburetors only need like 5 to 7 lbs of fuel pressure.. where EFI needs like 45 to 60 lbs. It could have a small pulse electric pump for carbs..
but I could be wrong..
good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I don't think they used electric fuel pumps on carburetor motors.. Carburetors only need like 5 to 7 lbs of fuel pressure.. where EFI needs like 45 to 60 lbs. It could have a small pulse electric pump for carbs..
but I could be wrong..
tim
Hi Tim, you're right on 90% of the carb'ed Fords from my experience, but on the big v8's they did have an electric pump that tied into the oil pressure switch (this was a precursor to the inertia switch and pressure pumps for EFI).

From the research I've done and my memory it is a fuel pump for a side mount tank that has 4 wires on the oval shaped connector.

Just like this one in the picture.

Font Terrestrial plant Line Adaptation Gadget

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So... Got it home and got it running. Actually sounds pretty good. Was missing on a cylinder or two at first, but once it picked it up rab and idled good.

So, maybe engine health is better than I thought. I can get a vaccum gage on it and a compression test and see what it says.

I'm thinking I might just start with a timing set change and maybe a new intake manifold to start. They might get me close to where I want to be. Can always go after cam and carb later.

·
Registered
634 Posts
HI, Yes it sounds purity good.. as is.. you might want to drive it like it is for a while as you gather parts.. doing the timing chain and gears and intake you 90% in to the same tare down you'd need for the cam/lifters.. so you might want to do that at the same time.. a mild cam like an RPM or something like a 5.16 intake 5.43 exhaust lift @.50 wouldn't need much of anything else for a daily driver. I ran one of those in my truck with stock push rods with comp roller tip rocker, push rod guide plat kit.. ran real good..

tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI, Yes it sounds purity good.. as is.. you might want to drive it like it is for a while as you gather parts.. doing the timing chain and gears and intake you 90% in to the same tare down you'd need for the cam/lifters.. so you might want to do that at the same time.. a mild cam like an RPM or something like a 5.16 intake 5.43 exhaust lift @.50 wouldn't need much of anything else for a daily driver. I ran one of those in my truck with stock push rods with comp roller tip rocker, push rod guide plat kit.. ran real good..

tim
I'm going to move into body work and get all of that squared away other than some ignition part replacements and maybe a carb rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts