460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im Building a 64 Fairlane carburated 557 for drag racing only and was wondering what gauges others have in their cars. I am going to install a tach, water temp, oil preasure, volt, fuel preasure. Looking at other cars I have seen almost every gauge made installed. Do I need any more than what Im installing? I would rather do this once and make it look nice and not look hacked thogether. Heres a couple pictures for those who care.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Auto-Meter

I use Auto-Meter in all my cars and boats. I'm in the process of switching over from Stewart-Warner which IMO are nothing but junk. I just attempted to remove the water bulb on a fairly new S/W water temp guage and broke the little tube going to the guage...instant junk. A couple of years ago I bought a mech. 3500 rpm S/W tach for my Kenworth, it read 1000 rpms high at idle and was about 600 rpms slow at 2100 rpm. It was not cheap either, paid $165.00 for that POS. No mo S/W for me.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a set of Auto-Meter silver Pro-Comps for my car, I have the black ones in my J-10 parts hauler which are also very nice, I favor the silver faced ones, but this is subjective. Both sets are 2 5/8" diameter.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I also prefer the Auto Meters, I have the silver procomp ones in my bronco. I don't know if you are running an auto trans, but I would highly reccomend a trans temp gauge to your set up. Awesome car, looks cool as heck

T

·
0 Posts
Gauges

First, your car is going to look cool as hell when you finish it. In my last car I ran Autometer Pro comp gauges & the Pro Comp 5" play back tach. I highly recommend the play back tach. It is a "cheap data logger". On my current car I use Racepak V-net gauges since I am using their V-300 data logger. The data logger was the best money spent on the car. I very highly recommend one. I am using V-net tach,oil press.,water temp.,trans temp.,brake press.,volt meter, & fuel press. :D

[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info and pictures and thanks for the kind words about the car.

TS916 why do you use a brake pressure guage? I have seen them but always wondered why people use them.

Any one know why my pictures are so big? Is there a way to fix that for next time?

T

·
0 Posts
Brake Pressure Gauge

I use it for my burn out. I know what pressure it takes to hold the car. Better than guessing then the brakes don't hold & you get a crappy burn out. It's all about consistency. :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have sport comps in my Pinto and Lunars in my 56. Eventually the Falcon will have Autometers as well but not sure which ones.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
By the way, Patfromjersey, that has to be the cleanest interior I have ever seen. Nice job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts