460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Unfortunately from my past experience with 3 crappy 8" GER converters I would have to say a GER is probably only worth the going rate for scrap iron.

Their street converters might be a different story, but if they are anything like their crap race converters they aren't worth siht.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Unfortunately from my past experience with 3 crappy 8" GER converters I would have to say a GER is probably only worth the going rate for scrap iron.

Their street converters might be a different story, but if they are anything like their crap race converters they aren't worth siht.
I put 50,000 miles on mine before getting rid of the car.

:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts

X2, A long time ago a buddy was racing a Stock class 396 Chevelle with a GER convertor. The guy that owns Turbo Action convertors, Paul something was his name, races about the same combo as my buddy. We talked with Paul at Darlington one spring, and he told my buddy he would send him a convertor to try, if he didn't pick up at least 2 tenths, just send it back to him. A week later the convertor shows up and the car picks up almost 3 tenths. I bought a convertor from him for my car, a 351-C at the time, and used that convertor for years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
X2, A long time ago a buddy was racing a Stock class 396 Chevelle with a GER convertor. The guy that owns Turbo Action convertors, Paul something was his name, races about the same combo as my buddy. We talked with Paul at Darlington one spring, and he told my buddy he would send him a convertor to try, if he didn't pick up at least 2 tenths, just send it back to him. A week later the convertor shows up and the car picks up almost 3 tenths. I bought a convertor from him for my car, a 351-C at the time, and used that convertor for years.
I think it may depend on when you bought one and who built it . We had one cut open to repair and restall and it was an 8" race converter. the fins or blades were mig welded and some of the fins were burned threw. We had to buy a converter because they're wasn't anything useable from it.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4. Scrap it is then. It always worked fine for me. The only reason that I replaced it was because I bought a TCI full competition C6 along with a TCI 4500 stall because I rebuilt the motor and put a much bigger Lunati solid roller cam in it. I'll just leave it on the shelf for now. I was just thinking that I may try to get rid of it if somebody could use it but I won't worry about it with all the bad reviews I got here. I've also heard other bad things in other places. I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hell if you can get $50/100 bucks for it (or whatever amount) then go for it. Just make it known before the sale that the converter is sold "as is" and there's no guarantees.

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know that isn't a bad idea but I'm pissed at eBay. They keep raising their prices to sell stuff and it just doesn't sit right with me. By the time you get done paying all of their fee's (paypal included that they own) you end up having to give them about 15%. I just think that is too much for the service. Craigslist is the way to go but the market is much smaller because it is all local. I'm just going to leave it sit there for now. I may use it again one day. It did work fine when pulled out. And right now I have a stock stall converter in my truck. If I decide to put a bigger cam in it one day then maybe I'll use it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts