460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mountain motor? I hear about em all the time yet I, for the love of me, dont actually know exactly what it is? Is it a hemi, wedge? what?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
This is what they call the IHRA pro stock motors because they don't have any cubic inch limits where as NHRA has a 500 inch limits. Most mountain motors are 815 cubic inches. and I just saw a chevy motor thats bigger yet.

Ace

D

·
0 Posts
Currently the typical motors are 821" in IHRA

As far a big motors their are some out their over 900"s and I'm sure someone as had to build a 1000" one at sometime, some guys just have to have the biggest one....... :lol:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so there is no limit, and how much power is usually made? I mean I saw that kaase made 1700 with his hemis for ford. But is there anythig makin over 2000?

D

·
0 Posts
N/A I would guess the 1700-2000 is the limit based on current technology and 2 valve heads. But add some turbos or a blower......... 3000 to 4000+ is probably a good guess with similar max effort engines. Add some nitro and your definetly on the 7000 to 8000 hp range...... But they don't last long. :lol:

But as the old saying goes, how fast you want to go all depends on how much and how fast you want or can spend. :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Carol Carter Aluminum Blocks or Specilty stuff with wide bore spacings and really tall deck heights. A460 blocks won't go that big with out adding Deck Spacers and The STD eliminator stuff starts to fall off in the 700" range. Once you get to these sizes everything is pretty much one of a kind.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
dfree383 is correct on the blocks. They are produced by Carroll Carter. They are updated Roberts Design (old Ford Motorsports A96) blocks. They have a 12" deck height & 5" bore spacing. Stock for a BBF is 10.32" deck height & 4.9" bore spacing to give you some idea of the differences. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts