460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few jobs in the pipe and I'm looking for the formula to figure out operating costs of a vehicle. One commute is only about 10 minutes away with a decent salary but the other is about an hour or more away with a larger salary.

I need the formula to figure out my annual cost of operating my truck to drive back and forth to work at both places. This way I can igure out which one actually pays me more after taxes and operating my truck.....

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Depends on what you drive.

Fuel Cost
Maintence Cost
Wear and Tear / Depriciation
Initial Investment, Payments & Interest
Plates / Registration
Insurance Premiums
Tolls

I believe the Federal Goverment was allowing .49 per mile last year? Should be going up substantialy due to fuel costs this year.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends more on how much you need the bucks. After 23 years on the road (up to 1250 miles driving each way), I'd take a job 10 minutes from home any day over one an hour away... Never sell your personal travel time short, those hours in the seat are generally non-productive, possibly hazardous, and worth a lot more than bucks in this short lifetime.
Just my $0.02, and not worth every cent of it. :roll:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

The 2 jobs have d ifference in salary of about 25-30K a year. The higher paying one is the farther one.

I drive an hour now and it's basically only driving across the metro area. The traffic sucks. So driving an hour or a little more for about 25K more isn't bad. I don't think the one close to home (<10 miles) will equal the higher paying one after I factor in the mileage, lost time, etc...

·
Registered
176 Posts
On my wife's taxes we can take .39cents per mile.I changed jobs last year from 7miles to 37 miles and $3 an hour more and Iam glad I did.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RCJ said:
On my wife's taxes we can take .39cents per mile.I changed jobs last year from 7miles to 37 miles and $3 an hour more and Iam glad I did.
That's the boat I'm in. I still have some interviews left to go on until I see what the final salaries will be. I'm talking a salary difference of probably $10 an hour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts