460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a 69 Fairlane with a 460 already installed. Regrettably I'm two steps removed from the engine builder and an angry ex-wife refuses to help me find him.

I started out wanting to replace the cap as it is a sloppy fit (holding slot is worn -probably from using the cap to twist the distributor with the hold down too tight). But a standard Ford cap is abut 1/8" too large.

When I removed the distributor, the gear stayed in the engine and the base of the distributor has a slot that fits into a short shaft attached to the gear. There is no provision for a pin to hold the two shafts together that I can see. The gear is pinned to the short shaft.

I've attached pictures of the cap, distributor and gears. Any help in IDing what I've got would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts
Off hand I'd say you have your OLD distributor. Order a recurved one from Scotty (The Madd Porter) or spring for an MSD setup.

If the shafts weren't pinned and the gear stayed in the motor when you pulled the distributor I'd be looking to get rid of that thing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Pro comp it is...... You can take it apart and put it in a Chevy

·
Super Moderator
4,936 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pro Comp

I really like the distributor that you have and use them in our race car. If the cap needs replaced just order a new one from ProComp, If you don't like the removable shaft feature, just drill a hole through the two parts at the connection and slip in a cotter pin. The cotter pin will make it removable as one part. I personally think these are very good distributors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts