460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust leak on my 300 I6 and I have found it. It is this long pipe and it has like 6 little pipes running off of it into the head and one is broken.

Should I plug the whole pipe or what?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't know what your local emission laws are, you can pickup that part at one of your local auto parts stores and replace it not that difficult.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know what your local emission laws are, you can pickup that part at one of your local auto parts stores and replace it not that difficult.
Eh....we can remove them here and they don't do nothing. Shoot....my 79 doesn't even have no cat on it....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then you know what to do you can get tube nuts and install in holes on head to take place of that mess.
Tube nuts?

Only emmission in Georgia where they have to pass is up in North GA...guess we got alot of more trees down here....LOL

Will I lose MPGs or Power?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the tubes in the nuts now imagine them closed no hole for tube to go thru. no it won't effect gas mileage or performance.
Guys telling me to replace it when I can because the computer is calibrated for more oxygen and not to cut off my cat.

I don't know what is better? People saying cat/emmission robs hp and mpg and while others say it helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if there is nothing wrong with your cat leave it alone. computer only knows what it's told and relearns working parameters as needed and makes it's own adjustments. replacing that tube or not is not going to effect gas mileage or performance of the vehicle period. that tube is used to pump extra air into cyls at idle only to clean up exhaust emissions provided the air pump is functional. Your not talking to the same guys at the repair shop that couldn't set the timing correctly on the Ranger are ya?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I think what he was trying to say is to remove the fittings on all the tubes (the 'tube nuts') with solid brass or steel plugs. You could try simply using that metal epoxy putty to seal up the leak. It comes in the clear plastic tubes at auto part stores for about $6. It's a two part putty that you cut a chunk from, knead it really well, and stick it on where you need it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I have my fuel injection thing off and I see the whole AIR rail.

Should I just remove it completely or just get a new one?

New one is like $63 :eek:

Or just get brass plugs for each hole.

I think it shouldn't effect anything?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do you got a real parts store such as napa? take the broken tube nut out go to napa they can match that up with the fittings that are neede to block off the holes and they should have them in steel witch would be cheaper than brass plugs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you got a real parts store such as napa? take the broken tube nut out go to napa they can match that up with the fittings that are neede to block off the holes and they should have them in steel witch would be cheaper than brass plugs.
Will the Air injection being gone effect the cat or anything?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts