Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stroker NA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
For 'all out' power, nothing, and I mean NOTHING even comes close to a turbocharger!!
2200 horsepowere'd small blocks cant be wrong!!
But for ease of instalation and price, its Nitrous Oxide for sure.....its the best "bang for the buck" out there....its cheaper than a stroker kit, and can make horsepower and torque that is equal to a supercharger.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Re: I like big cube strokers NA !

OldSchoolRacer said:
I just love the big cube strokers that are NA !

Something about a "all motor" combo that really appeals to me?
that's right. no replacement for displacement! I remember a magazine article from back in the day on one of Kaase's BIGG motors, they had a quart jar of popcorn sitting on one of the pistons at bdc. It looked really small in there and that made a good impression on me.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Turbos, yes

I agree; Turbos are king if this is a power-only contest. Most efficient and lowest cost if you can fabricate and have room for the hot-side plumbing.

However...belt driven turbos (centrifugal superchargers) are a close second and my personal favorite. Why?

- You lose 2/3rds of the plumbing/fabricating requirement, especially the hot-side which can be especially problematic because it must be kept from wiring, plumbing, paint, etc.

-Centrifugals aren't as efficient because they take crank power to drive, but give some of that back in discharge temperature. The air they discharge isn't as hot because they don't spin as fast. Often times this means you don't need an intercooler.

- The boost-vs-rpm relationship is predictable and repeatable with the centrifugal blower. With a turbocharger, just how much boost you make at a specific rpm has to do with a lot more than engine rpm and can change depending on how the vehicle is being driven. This makes it harder to tune...especially on pump gas. Do you make 3psi or 15psi at 2000RPM? That depends on what you did to get there. Not so with a centrifugal...it's always the same head pressure versus rpm.

- Reliability. Assuming you aren't over-spinning a centrifugal supercharger and are using a well engineered brand, they last damn near forever. Turbos need maintenance. I'm not saying they're unreliable, but in my experience they need far more care than a centrifugal. Turbo-timers to keep them from coking bearings, seal replacements, cracked exhaust housings...etc.

The largest reason I didn't go turbo on my Cobra is because of the plumbing. It created a fabrication nightmare that would required more effort than I was willing to dish out. The concept sketches with the supercharger were twice as clean. And, honestly, the turbo only offered me more power and more heat...which was the last thing I need in this car. 500hp in a street Cobra is scary; 800-1000 is suicidal. Give me a turbo and I'd have died the test drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same poll different results ?

I ask this same poll question at a another website ( local car guy groups site) I got VERY different poll results?

At the other site I was one of very few who selected "Stroker NA" as most of the guys picked Turbo......SuperCharger and NOS were pretty even split but, still way behind the Turbo......

Interesting but, I think it had to do with this site focusing on 460 BBFs and the other site was for every make of engine that included a lot of factory Turbod cars.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts