460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title say's i have my engine started for the first time and and after about the 6th time i have a noise now i can't isolate plus its hard with strait headers ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
like the title say's i have my engine started for the first time and and after about the 6th time i have a noise now i can't isolate plus its hard with strait headers ?
I think it depends a lot on the rockers and the valve cover gasket. I am using a Lunati 61604 cam which is VERY close to your cam (564/582 lift, 233/241 @ .050") with PRW stainless steel roller rockers and stock valve covers with no problems...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Rocker clearance

I have the Cam Research copy of that exact same cam in my 466 with Aluminum Edel heads and the MPG/Cam Research aluminum roller rockers with factory valve covers and have no rocker to valve cover issues. I do use a rubber Felpro valve cover gasket. An old trick is to glue two sets of gaskets together to gain some clearance.

FWIW Mark

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Cam Research copy of that exact same cam in my 466 with Aluminum Edel heads and the MPG/Cam Research aluminum roller rockers with factory valve covers and have no rocker to valve cover issues. I do use a rubber Felpro valve cover gasket. An old trick is to glue two sets of gaskets together to gain some clearance.

FWIW Mark
i'm using the rubber felpro gaskets as well, i don't think that its the rockers i'm hearing ? i was just wondering. its a weird noise that i'm hearing. maybe its the header clack ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both my 460 and my brothers 351c have roller rockers. They both have a bit of chatter from bouncing off the guides I think.

Also I was concerned about the stock valve covers clearence so I just did this

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not pull the valve covers and see if they have been rubbing... or install some mufflers?

Tom
well i don't think it's the rockers and exhaust is coming next !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the cost of a set of vc gaskets, it would be worth knowing, and not ruining a cam if they are hitting the covers.
Tom
yeah, i think i will pull them off and check for marks just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts