460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot about rotella oil, why? I thought it was for deisel apps. I run mobile one in everything i own that will take oil. is it not worth the price. then there's royal purple and that stuffs way expensive. like I said I hear alot about rotella and that stuff is real cheap. is it worth it??

what oil do you use?
what application is it in??

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
TheLastStarfighter said:
I hear alot about rotella oil, why?

what oil do you use?
what application is it in??
I use synthetic oil EXCEPT during break-in.
I use a cheap non-detergent 30W for cam break-in, change it to same and seat the rings, then use Valvoline Racing until first oil change, then switch to Synth. I doubt that one brand of synthetic is a whole lot better than another.
Synthetic will not... 1) Leave carbon deposites behind when exposed to extreme heat. 2) Will not turn into molasis in cold weather, quicker to circulate during cold startup. 3) Has been proven on the dyno to have less friction.

Rotella is popular in cases where the oil is changed after every race day, like in an Alcohol fueled application where the oil is contaminated quickly. Just not cost effective to use a high-dollar oil.

My current vehicles...
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD. 130,000 miles (run hard and used to tow frequently). Mobile1 5W30 when new, and recenetly upped viscosity to 10W40. 6,000 mile oil-change interval. No observed oil consumption between changes.

85 Mustang 5.0 warmed over 9.5:1 306. Mobil1 10w40.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Castrol. Not for any scientific reason, but because of John Force and because it's what my father has always run and it's never let him or myself down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i believe the rotella is being used in new cam breakin due to the higher zinc content but i am not 100% sure. i wish someone would tell me what type of rotella to use for the breakin? 10w-30 or 15w-40 or 10w-40? rotella also makes a synthetic which is either 15w-40 or 5w-40?? any advice appreciated

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
"Rotella T" 15W-40 is used for break-in as said above for it's high content of Phosphorous and Zink to help any rubbing surfaces to mate better with LESS chance of abnormal wear. (Like flat tappet cam and lifters; or distributor gears; or wrist pins to pistons [or rod small ends]; or pushrod tips to rocker arms; or valve tips without roller rocker arms, etc.)
After that the application will usually determine which oil is best to be using for the situation. Every situation IS different.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Not the same content of phosphorous and zink in the 10W-30 as in the 15W-40 recomended for diesel engine use as well as gasoline engines.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
oil

I've always used Havoline 20W-50 and had great results, no carbon built up, motor always looks like new on freshen-ups. In my jet boat I used Kendall 50W and also had good results. Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Royal Purple

i run Royal purple in the race car.It can be boght in bulk(5 gallons for 5.00 a quart).I also run Royal Purple in my transmisiion and rearend.I love the stuff.Beleive it or not my last bunch of Royal purple was bought from JC Whitney for 3.99 a quart.Oh well take care.(One more thing,when I take the oil out of my race car and vechiles,I stain the synthetic and run in it my lawnmowers,generators,snowblower etc.Just my 2 cents.
Bob

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
It seems that some people on here just like to ask pointed questions even though they probably know the answer already. Because, it apparently makes them feel like a bigger person to trap somebody in a mistake; when they could simply display the known answer themselves to begin with.
At this time it now appears that "Rotella T" 10W-30 and 15W-40 have the same amount of zinc and phosphorous; a year ago that wasn't true.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use Schaeffer's oil. The stuff has been around since 1839, when they were making wagon wheel grease. They put they stats online. we run it in a blown alcohol deal and it holds up to the milking thing. check them out schaefferoil.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.